70's Bus Routes

boginspro

I worked the Roe Lane bus route, I think it would have been in the early 70's and route 1 or 11. We used Leyland Tiger Cubs fleet numbers 11 and 12. I am a long way from Sheffield now and have little memory of Roe Lane so would appreciate more pictures to jog my memory. thanks to all on this thread.

I worked the Roe Lane bus route, I think it would have been in the early 70's and route 1 or 11. We used Leyland Tiger Cubs fleet numbers 11 and 12. I am a long way from Sheffield now and have little memory of Roe Lane so would appreciate more pictures to jog my memory. thanks to all on this thread.

A few on picturesheffield

Can't remember the Roe Lane route number but I do remember driving a blue Ford single decker that was on trial on that crew operated route. No idea of the year but the City terminus was on Castle Street. W/E.

I think the route started out as the 101 but became the 1 around the time SYPTE was formed and the route renumbering took place.

Can't remember the Roe Lane route number but I do remember driving a blue Ford single decker that was on trial on that crew operated route. No idea of the year but the City terminus was on Castle Street. W/E.

I can't remember that Ford but we had a lot of trial/test buses around that time at Eastbank. I seem to remember working out of Castle Street a lot, was there another Eastbank route working from there or just this one.

I can't remember that Ford but we had a lot of trial/test buses around that time at Eastbank. I seem to remember working out of Castle Street a lot, was there another Eastbank route working from there or just this one.

I do not think so. When I worked it Castle Street was still 2-way and was very busy with buses still using Exchange Street. Perhaps madannie may be able to enlighten us but then, she was probably still a babe in arms around the time we are talking about. :rolleyes: W/E.

I do not think so. When I worked it Castle Street was still 2-way and was very busy with buses still using Exchange Street. Perhaps madannie may be able to enlighten us but then, she was probably still a babe in arms around the time we are talking about. :rolleyes: W/E.

Getting a bit off the subject here but just one more question. I have been away from Sheffield a long time now and I don' think ever saw Castle Street as a one way, when did that happen please?

Not quite a babe in arms, but quite young at the time :rolleyes:, which is why most of the useless information in my head comes from various publications and the memories of the men and women who worked on the buses back then.

In the early 1970s the only routes which started on Castle Street appear to have been the 101 to Roe Lane and the rather infrequent 100 to Parkwood Springs. I have a feeling that the 101 only started in the early 1970s, although I can't find the paperwork I need to check that at the moment.

Not quite a babe in arms, but quite young at the time :rolleyes:, which is why most of the useless information in my head comes from various publications and the memories of the men and women who worked on the buses back then.

In the early 1970s the only routes which started on Castle Street appear to have been the 101 to Roe Lane and the rather infrequent 100 to Parkwood Springs.

Drivers Handbook dated February 1973. Service 100. The outward journey started from City Castlegate. On the return journey the last setting down point was in Waingate [sevice 69 stop] then light via Exchange Street to Castlegate. W/E.

I have been away from Sheffield a long time now and I don' think ever saw Castle Street as a one way, when did that happen please?

When the Castle Market part of Exchange Street was closed to road traffic in the 70s Castle Street remained 2-way. It was only when extensive changes to that areas road network were made in preparation for Super Tram that it became 1-way. They even filled in The Hole in the Road, much to the Councils eternal shame. W/E.

When the Castle Market part of Exchange Street was closed to road traffic in the 70s Castle Street remained 2-way. It was only when extensive changes to that areas road network were made in preparation for Super Tram that it became 1-way. They even filled in The Hole in the Road, much to the Councils eternal shame. W/E.

Thanks for the info. WE, when I look at parts of Sheffield on Google Street View it often takes me a while to recognize where I am and I spent the first 30 odd years of my life there.

Drivers Handbook dated February 1973. Service 100. The outward journey started from City Castlegate. On the return journey the last setting down point was in Waingate [sevice 69 stop] then light via Exchange Street to Castlegate. W/E.

Thank you for putting me right on that- serves me right for taking my info from a book and not double checking with a timetable or faretable before posting.

That brings back a memory of The Tiger, other Drivers always new you had been driving a Tiger as it was almost impossible to engage reverse gear without drawing blood.

That brings back a memory of The Tiger, other Drivers always new you had been driving a Tiger as it was almost impossible to engage reverse gear without drawing blood.

Yes! and when working extended journeys to the WMC at Deepcer on the 257/357 it was a good excuse for a pint and a plaster. W/E.

Turns out that I still have the South Yorkshire Bus Transport map from 1976. I thought I had lost it. However it has suffered a lot. The plan (map) is very torn and so would be hard to scan. But I have scanned the Central stops area. And the list of services.

Turns out that I still have the South Yorkshire Bus Transport map from 1976. I thought I had lost it. However it has suffered a lot. The plan (map) is very torn and so would be hard to scan. But I have scanned the Central stops area. And the list of services.

attachicon.gifBus Map 1976 sheffield area.jpg

attachicon.gif1976 Bus routes part 1.jpg

attachicon.gif1976 Bus routes part 2.jpg

Thanks History dude, that clears a lot of fuzz out of my memory.

The number 3 was a limited stop service too. It wouldn't drop anyone off till I think the Manor Top, though they didn't like doing that!

Several other buses were limited stop too. My sister lived near the old village in Hackenthorpe. You could get one of these Limited Stop services to that, but it would only stop there, and certainly not the next stop just outside Carter Lodge School. The next stop allowed being Westfield. The first time we used it the driver didn't make this clear. So instead of getting off at the village we pressed the bell for the Carter Lodge stop. Which he passed and despite our pleas he wouldn't stop, till he reached Westfield, leaving us with a long walk! However as it was a dual door bus, so when we exited by the rear door there was a handle on the side locking the doors open, I turned it! He drove off not being able to automatically shut the doors! We got out of the way, but I saw this jobs worth driver pull up and get out to shut the doors! Serves him right! ;-):P

On that list of routes posted by History Dude is the 85 to Gainsborough which I think (I can't find my box of old timetables to confirm) had a running time of over 2 hours.

The 270/1 (previously the 70) were also lengthy in terms of time but probably not so in terms of distance.

On that list of routes posted by History Dude is the 85 to Gainsborough which I think (I can't find my box of old timetables to confirm) had a running time of over 2 hours.

The 85 Route had a LONG break in Gainsborough which got a bit boring at times ( on the evening run I used to go in the Local Pub they had a Pinball Machine )

The morning run started by running light to Herdings to run in front of Service 28 to get enough change for the 85 run it was the perfect shift 0415 start 1300 finish in Depot.