Roe Lane Pitsmoor

duckweed

Was Pitsmoor Lane always the same. I am just wondering about the numbering. I am trying to work out where Edward Bullivant had his farm. He is down in burial register in 1891 as a market gardener living at 39 Roe Lane but earlier trade directories say he was a farmer of 11 acres and a scissor smith living in Roe Lane (In 1841 was in Pond Street but moved soon after). Was 39 the farm house or did he move along the road. Did the numbering change due to more houses being built as well as Firshill School?

Obvious Farm there with orchard but is it the same place as at his death? Tried looking in general for farms in Pitsmoor and am finding it very hard. There are 1 lot of old buildings still on Roe Lane and that is the Stables.

Well 1'200 square yards is not 11 acres. So presumably he sold off most of the farm before then.

Not necessarily - the land would be rented, so on his death would remain the property of the landlord, whereas the leasehold buildings were his to be sold by his executors.

Looking at his census entries and the adjacent entries, assuming the enumerator followed a logical walk:

1851: Little Roe Lane Joseph Maskery (moulder), Edward Bullivant (farmer of 11 acres and scissorsmith), William Marshall (maker of garden tools), David Leighton (engineer), Roe Wood Cottage George Depledge (warehouse man)

1861: Roe Wood Lane Hannah Smith (laundress),Bowling Green Elijah Drabble (bowling green keeper), Roe Wood Lane William Ellis (contractor), Edward Bullivant (farmer of 9 acres and scissorsmith), James Mudford (rope maker), John Rodgers (painter and paperhanger)

1871: Roe Lane Edward Huirins? (bowling green keeper), Samuel Warburton (spring knife cutler), Edward Bullivant (farmer of 9 acres and scissor filer), Edwin Inman (steel manager)

1881: Roe Lane No.33 George Merrill (file cutter), No. 35 William Bowler (steward bowling club), No.37 Ezra Linton (warehouseman), No.39 Edward Bullivant (farmer 9 acres and scissorsmith), No 41 Samuel Warburton (nursery superintendent)

So he seems to have lived very close to the bowling green - see 1893 map below:

I read somewhere that the building called the stables hired out riding horses within living memory. Does anyone have any information about the buildings history? There would appear to be a smithy there if I'm not mistaken.

62/PITSMOOR/LITTLE ROE LANE/
J/EDWARD/BULLIVANT/HEAD/MAR/37//FARMER OF 11 ACRES AND SCISSOR SMITH EMPLOYING 2 LABOURERS/ESS/COLCHESTER/
J/JANE/BULLIVANT/W/MAR//33/FARMERS WIFE/DBY/GRANHILL/
J/JOSEPH/BULLIVANT/SON//11//FARMERS SON/YKS/SHEFFIELD/
J/HENRY/BULLIVANT/SON//9//SCHOLAR/YKS/SHEFFIELD/
J/JANE/BULLIVANT/D///7/SCHOLAR/YKS/SHEFFIELD/
J/EDWARD/BULLIVANT/SON//5///YKS/SHEFFIELD/
J/DAVID/BULLIVANT/SON//.417///YKS/SHEFFIELD/
J/HUGH/BULLIVANT/SON//.417///YKS/SHEFFIELD/
J/CHARLES/BULLIVANT/SON//3///YKS/SHEFFIELD/

It says here.

Thank you for putting me right on that- serves me right for taking my info from a book and not double checking with a timetable or faretable before posting.

I thik we need to migrate some post to another topic/area MA, recent comments are not contributing to duckweeds original question.

Edit: New topic - 70's Bus Routes