Thorpe/parkin/smith

Guest HRHartley

Guest HRHartley

Hi,

I am just researching My Uncle Harry Thorpes line. I have some information from him, as much as he can possibly know, but its getting more about and beyond his grand parents. His dad was Ralph 1908 to 1991 and his mum Gladys Smith 1905 to 1979. I have nothing more on Gladys Smith. Ralphs dad was called Harry and his mum Florence Parkin.

If anyone is related to or can help let me know :)

Guest HRHartley

Also there is the surname Slack......from Sheffield Obv....at one point they lived at 88 Bramall Lane.

I cannot see an entry for Gladys in the GRO death index that matches the dates you give. Would her death have been registered in Sheffield? The entry, if it can be identified would give her exact date of birth which might be useful. (any little bit of information can be useful when you are dealing with the surname SMITH!)

There are several trees on Ancestry with Ralph 1908-1991, son of Harry and Florence (PARKIN).

But they all show him marrying a Winifred HARDY/COTTAM in 1952.

So is this a different Ralph, or was there a divorce?

I found your Uncle Harry's baptism at St Mary's, Bramall Lane. They were living at 61 St Mary's Lane at the time and Ralph was a table knife setter.

The address in St Mary’s Lane was a long-standing home for this family.

Here is the burial of what looks like a sibling of Ralph’s from this address in 1896:

Burial in the General Cemetery, Sharrow

Grave K3 (non-consecrated section)

died 10 Dec 1896

buried 13 Dec 1896

Harry Thorpe aged 15m Son of Harry Thorpe, machinist

61 St Mary's Lane

[this is a public grave with 52 burials]

Baptisms at St Mary’s. Bramall Lane

16 Feb 1898 PARKIN George William s. of Herbert & Emma 61 St Mary's Lane (Carter) bn. 30 Jan 1898

18 Sep 1895 THORP Harry s. of Harry & Florence Priscilla 61 St Mary's Lane (Machinist) bn. 2 Sep 1895

1 Dec 1897 THORPE Franks. of Harry & Florence Priscilla 61 St Mary's Lane (Machinist) bn. 10 Nov 1897

21 Apr 1901 THORPE Florence Ada d. of Harry & Florence Priscilla 61 St Mary's Lane (machinist) bn. 3 Apr 1901

To make progress with Gladys I think you need the 1930 marriage certificate. It would give a check on her age, as well as the name and occupation of her father.

Do you now where the name SLACK fits in?

Also, what is 'Sheffield Obv'? :unsure:

Burials for Florence and Harry...

THORPE, Florence Priscilla (Widow, age 76).

Died at 80 Paddock Crescent; Buried on January 15, 1947 in Consecrated ground;

Grave Number 4068, Section E of Abbey Lane Cemetery, Sheffield.

THORPE, Harry (agricultural implement maker, age 57).

Died at Dore & Totley railway station; Buried on April 26, 1927 in Consecrated ground;

Grave Number 4068, Section E of Abbey Lane Cemetery, Sheffield.

I have followed Harry and Florence back through the census.

1911 - 61 St Marys Lane. Harry aged 41yrs, machinist knife maker, born Sheffield. Florence aged 40yrs, born Sheffield.

Children: George aged 19yrs, spoon fork finisher. Fred aged 17yrs, hooker in wire mill. Frank aged 13yrs, errand boy.

Florence Ada aged 9yrs. Ernest aged 7yrs and Ralph aged 3yrs. All born Sheffield.

1901 - 61 St Marys Lane. Harry aged 32yrs, agricultural machine knife maker. Florence aged 30yrs. Children: George 9, Fred 7 and Frank 3.

1891 - 10 Preston St. (St. Barnabas Parish). Harry aged 21yrs, Brace bit striker. Florence aged 20yrs. They are living in the same house as

brother Frank and his wife Bertha and their son Harry.

1881 - 6ct No 1 Sheldon St.

George Thorpe, head, mar, 58yrs, Brass castor, bushes? born London.

Eliza Thorpe, wife, mar, 44yrs, born Tiverton, Devon.

Frank Thorpe, son, 16yrs, Brass castor.

Harry Thorpe, son, 11yrs, scholar.

Mary Ann Thorpe, dau, 3yrs.

Geo. Fred. Thorpe, 11m. Children all born in Sheffield.

1871 - 48 View Road, Heeley, Sheffield.

George Thorpe, head, mar, 34yrs, Brass castor, born London, Middlesex.

Eliza Thorpe, wife, mar, 34yrs, born Tiverton, Devon.

Ada Thorpe, dau, 8yrs, scholar, born Sheffield.

Frank Thorpe, son, 6yrs, born Sheffield.

Harry Thorpe, son, 2yrs, born Heeley.

John Easterbrook, boarder, widr, 77yrs, Retired farmer, born Silverton, Devon.

Moira.

Eliza was John's daughter. John was living with Eliza and family in 1871. In 1881 he was living with daughter Jane Jarman and family. He died age 91 in 1884 at 94 Weston Street

Annie

My Thorpe family came from Sheffield and I noticed most of them were married and baptized in St Marys Church my great-grandfather would have been Henry is Henricus Herbertus and then my great-great-grandfather would have been Jonathan Thorpe and before him John Thorpe and before him Samuel Thorpe all out of St Mary's I wonder if there's any relationship