Looking For A Baptism

MINIMO

My grandfather was born at Bower St Sheffield. I am trying to find out which church he would most likely have been baptised at. Can anyone help please?

Thank you

Some of my family born in the same area was baptised at St Judes , Cupola

off Shalesmoor.

Depending on which era then the Ebenezer Chapel [ where I was baptised ] could be included

I am not sure what you mean by "ordinary protestant"....Methodists, Quakers, Anglican, Baptists, Congregationalists, Lutherans are all protestants.

As he was born in 1895 It would be worth a visit to the Sheffield Archives on Shoreham Street.

They have many church registers that you can look through of the small churches in that

area which are not on the internet.

The St Judes, Shalesmoor I looked through was in around 1895, some of these are not

on film or fiche either so it would be best to ring up first to see the church register and they will

get it out of the strong room ready for you.

To me this is one of the exciting phases of searching your ancestors, being able to find what's

not on the internet and actually looking through the original church book.

Don't forget to take your camera.

I don't know how else to describe them, they were CofE. Is that any better?

I will be going to SF Archives as I have to look for his burial as well. I am intrigued by your reference to taking a camera. Is one allowed to photograph documents? I have noted the possible churches suggested and will be looking into them.

Yes they let you take a picture or two of the page if you find what you are looking for.

Certain years will be on film or fiche and you will be able to get a copy for 20p.

There are two St Judes but the Shalesmoor one will be the one for Bower Street

the other one is at the other end of town.