Oldmapsonline

HughW

Edit 13/3/2024

These maps can now be found in Wikimedia Commons:

direct link to insurance maps: Wikimedia

The following is what I did earlier today before I remembered this:

I was able to find the maps today by searching for 'England' and zooming in to Sheffield on the resulting map. When the search area snugly surrounded the ring road the insurance maps appeared like magic at the top of the results.

**HOWEVER**

The individual maps could not be opened because of ongoing problems following a serious cyber attack on the British Library last October. They can't say when it will be fixed.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edit 12/1/2019
For some notes and finding aids see below the image

Don't know if I've missed a mention of this site (courtesy of Brian H at Sheffield Indexers)

http://www.oldmapsonline.org

The insurance maps of the city centre are beautiful..

1896 insurance.JPG

Finding Aids and Notes

To get to the insurance maps:

(1) Search for Sheffield in the search window at the top or by clicking the 'Find a place' button - both have the same effect. EDIT 9/4/2020 Using the top search window doesn't seem to work now - it finds a much shorter list which does not include the insurance maps. Using the 'Find a place' button still works.

(2) A menu of map descriptions appears on the right. This is a very long list and the insurance maps are a long way down. The list loads as you scroll. I have not found a way of going straight to the relevant part of this list. The insurance maps are all together and all the titles begin Insurance Plan of Sheffield.

(3) The maps are listed in a random order except that the first is a key to the 1888 maps. There are 5 sheets for 1888, one in two parts. There is no Sheet 1. See the 1888 key below.

(4) There are 29 sheets for 1896; three are in two parts. Again there is no sheet 1. I thought there was a key to the 1896 maps but I can no longer find it. Some maps are labelled '1905' - see complete list below.

1888 key
Insurance Map key 1888.JPG

Complete List of Insurance maps (in the order they appear in the menu)

order         year        sheet         Area                                                                                

1                1888        Key                                                                                            
2                1896        13             Blonk St  Wicker  River Don                             
3                1896        8               Arundel St  Tudor St  Pond Hill                        
4                1888        4               Church St  Leopold St  Fargate                       
5                1896        4               Church St  Leopold St  Fargate                       
6                1896        29             St Mary’s Rd  Hereford St                              (1905)*
7                1888        3-2           Fitzalan Sq  Fitzalan Market                            
8                1896        12             Nursery St  Johnson  St                                     
9                1888        5               Fargate  Surrey St  Norfolk St                          
10              1896        17             Westbar  Westbar Green Paradise Sq         
11              1896        26             Rockingham St  Button Lane  Moor               (1905)*
12              1896        3               High St  Fitzalan Sq  Norfolk St                       
13              1896        23             Shoreham St  Matilda St  Eyre Lane             
14              1896        15             Bridge St  Spring St  River Don                        
15              1896        28-2         Matilda St  Shoreham St  St Mary’s Rd         (1905)*
16              1888        6               Exchange St  Broad St  markets                     
17              1896        20             Pinstone St  Eyre St  St Paul’s                         
18              1896        6               Exchange St  Broad St  markets                     
19              1896        22             Pinstone St  Moor  Furnival St                        
20              1896        21             Pond St  Leadmill Rd  Suffolk Rd                    
21              1896        27             Matilda St  Eyre St  Arundel St                      (1905)*
22              1888        2               High St  Bank St  West Bar                                
23              1896        14             Corporation St  Alma St  Union Wheel        
24              1896        16             Wain Gate  Lady’s Bridge  Nursery St          
25              1896        25             Rockingham St  Wellington St  Eldon St       (1905)*
26              1896        19-1         Pinstone St  Cambridge St  Carver St           
27              1896        18             Trippet Lane  West St  Division St                 
28              1896        24             Devonshire St  West St  Portobello St          
29              1896        5               Fargate  Norfolk St  Sycamore St                   
30              1896        10             Eyre St  Howard St  Arundel St                       
31              1896        7               Commercial St  Sheaf St  Pond Hill                
32              1896        9               Pond St  Sheaf St  Harmer Lane                     
33              1896        2               High St  Bank St  West Bar                                
34              1896        11             Pond St  Sheaf St  Midland Station               
35              1896        30-2         Egerton St  Milton St  Headford St                 (1905)*
36              1896        30-1         Eldon St  Fitzwilliam St  Thomas St               (1905)*
37              1896        28-1         Sidney St  Arundel St  Matilda St                   (1905)*
38              1896        19-2         Moorhead  Backfields                                       
39              1888        3-1           Castle Green  Town Hall  Police Station      

* 1905 in the menu and in the description, 1896 in the heading. A revision or extension of the 1896 edition?

That is another large chunk of time wasted staring at maps. Makes a change from the 1950s OS maps :o

Fantastic find HughW :). Those insurance plans are unbelievable.

That is another large chunk of time wasted staring at maps. Makes a change from the 1950s OS maps :o

Fantastic find HughW :).

Taken a quick peek and closed the page, otherwise I will be there till midnight lol

Taken a quick peek and closed the page, otherwise I will be there till midnight lol

I've taken a quick peek which is shaping up to be a long one.

I have added some notes and finding aids to the first post in this thread, including a complete list of the insurance maps.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just picked up on the Edit of HughW's original post (see start of thread in red).  I found the 1896 key plan after considerable scrolling down the menu then found a reference to ongoing activity by the website operators. After more clicking eventually came up with this:-

http://explore.bl.uk/primo_library/libweb/action/search.do?ct=&pag=&indx=1&pageNumberComingFrom=1&fn=search&indx=2&tabs=moreTab&dscnt=0&recIds=MBogi150021&vid=BLVU1&institution=BL&rfnGrp=1&tab=website_tab&dstmp=1586474091068&elementId=1&rfnGrpCounter=1&vl(2084770706UI0)=any&frbrVersion=&query=any%2Ccontains%2CSheffield&search_scope=LSCOP-WEBSITE&scp.scps=scope%3A(BLWEBSITE)&displayMode=full&fctV=Map%2C maps%2C Britain%2C plans%2C fire insurance%2C Goad&renderMode=poppedOut&ct=&recIdxs=1&fctN=facet_topic&doc=MBogi150021&fromDL=&vl(freeText0)=Sheffield

Beginning to wish I hadn't !  Seems to indicate the information is there but not accessable in simple form yet.

Edit: dead link

Thanks for that Steve, it was specifically the collection of 'Insurance' plans that I was trying to locate. Attempting to Register brought up an apology that certain parts of the site were not currently functioning. Where possible I clicked on leads to the 'Fire Insurance' plans, and saved the url of what seemed to be a promising lead on the Sheffield plans, hence the long 'epistle' in my previous post ! 

It would be extremely helpful to have all the Sheffield plans included in the link you provide, maybe an approach to the British Library, once formal contact can be established, can serve a useful purpose.  I shall renew my efforts to Register for the site over the next months.

On 10/04/2020 at 15:13, Voldy said:

Thanks for that Steve, it was specifically the collection of 'Insurance' plans that I was trying to locate. Attempting to Register brought up an apology that certain parts of the site were not currently functioning. Where possible I clicked on leads to the 'Fire Insurance' plans, and saved the url of what seemed to be a promising lead on the Sheffield plans, hence the long 'epistle' in my previous post ! 

It would be extremely helpful to have all the Sheffield plans included in the link you provide, maybe an approach to the British Library, once formal contact can be established, can serve a useful purpose.  I shall renew my efforts to Register for the site over the next months.

This link seems to be working OK, you don't need to register, the first Sheffield insurance plan is at this link though there is one on the previous page showing the areas covered    ------------      

http://gallery.bl.uk/viewall/default.aspx?e=Fire insurance maps and plans Yorkshire and Humber&n=21&r=10

Edit: dead link

Yes, thank you boginspro, it's possible to get to the plans two ways. I had 'run out of steam' the other early morning and gave up using the route  I posted! It does work, though yours is more compact. Maybe useful to bookmark both the '88 and '96 key plans for future reference given the ad-hoc way they are numbered, though expect you already have;-)