Help/research Needed On This Photo From Pond Street

Sheffield History

I can't quite get the hang of this photograph, can you tell me what road the bus is coming out of. I wish I could see the rest of the bus, could it be a Sheffield gear less bus, even a Leyland Titanic.

Right boginspro, this should explain.

The lady in the foreground is walking down Pond Hill towards the Queens Head PH, the bus is on Pond Street facing Commercial Street, and the people in the background are on Flat Street.

Link ti Flash Earth

On the other bus photo (post #15), the bus is parked opposite from that marked on the map, and is facing towards Harmer Lane.

Didn't the City ( and Hitler?) destroy some interesting looking buildings ?I know many were insanitary and unfit ,but I wonder if a different Council might have tried to maintain more of its history ,and architecture,than did our old Corporation in the haste to rebuild and modernise. "Philistine City", indeed!

Right boginspro, this should explain.

The lady in the foreground is walking down Pond Hill towards the Queens Head PH, the bus is on Pond Street facing Commercial Street, and the people in the background are on Flat Street.

attachicon.gifpond.jpg

Link ti Flash Earth

On the other bus photo (post #15), the bus is parked opposite from that marked on the map, and is facing towards Harmer Lane.

Thanks for the explanation SteveHB, I can see it clearly now. Very interesting photographs in this post, what character Sheffield had in those days.

So in the foreground must be the steep steps that I asked about somewhere else on the forum.

When we walked up those steps as kids we would count them, later I regularly climbed them on the way to the Adelphi pub after getting off the 41 bus in Pond Street.

We sometimes referred to them by the number of steps, can anyone remember how many?

When we walked up those steps as kids we would count them, later I regularly climbed them on the way to the Adelphi pub after getting off the 41 bus in Pond Street.

We sometimes referred to them by the number of steps, can anyone remember how many?

Mentioned on another web site, someone referred to them as being called "One hundred steps"

Is that Mosboro - Eckington on the destination plate. Is that an old spelling of Mosborough or does it say something else. Anyway it would be a nice run into Derbyshire in those days. Great picture, thanks.

Is that Mosboro - Eckington on the destination plate. Is that an old spelling of Mosborough or does it say something else. Anyway it would be a nice run into Derbyshire in those days. Great picture, thanks.

Could it be " ? - Edlington" ?

Could it be " ? - Edlington" ?

Could be but I can't imagine a Sheffield route going there, or am I wrong, I think it needs someone with a better knowledge of very old bus roots and better eyes than me.

Could be but I can't imagine a Sheffield route going there, or am I wrong, I think it needs someone with a better knowledge of very old bus roots and better eyes than me.

It does looks more like Eckington

On 2/18/2015 at 14:54, boginspro said:

Almost 2 years since this post  but the Eckington route carried the No 30, which looks like the indicator display on the AEC? single-decker, into the 50's. Does this reinforce the  information  boginspro posted earlier? The latest picture  seems to cover the location 30 or so years later.