My Wonderful 42 Days . . .

THYLACINE

I am back in Tassie now after spending a wonderful 6 weeks in the UK, dividing my time between Eastwood (Nottingham), Scotland and Sheffield but mostly in Sheffield. Everyone said I must have brought the weather with me as England enjoyed one of the best summers in years so I am told. A month before we were due to leave my wife suffered a ruptured appendix and was advised not to leave Australia. It was a huge decision for me to come alone swayed by the fact that my Mum, who lives in Sheffield, is 92 and the main reason for me coming home.

I was able to cross a few things off my bucket list, some of which might seem insignificant to anyone living in England, for instance, having a pint in the Ferryboat Inn at Mexborough, doing the 5 weirs walk with my brother and visiting the site of "Ring of Bright Water". All of these things have special sentimental value to me. I visited the three schools I went to, two of them gone, the third although still an 'educational facility' was depressingly ugly and unrecognisable.

I saw the Shepherd Wheel, visited a street market at Sharrow and went to two productions at the Crucible - Sheffield Mysteries and Mansfield Park. I caught a ferry from the Isle of Skye, saw the birthplace of D.H. Lawrence and strolled around the gardens at Renishaw House with Osbert and Edith. Not to mention Le Tour, the Great Sheffield Art Show and Conisborough Castle. England still has the best countryside anywhere in the world, I just wish there was somewhere to stop the car and look at it.

But undoubtedly, among the highlights of my time in Sheffield were my two meetings with Vox, sitting in the sunshine outside the Birley Hotel with a pint of Guiness and reminiscing about old times. I would recommend it to anyone who grew up in Hackenthorpe, went to Thornbridge or drives a van. Thanks Vox, I hope you didn't get in trouble with the missis!

And I would like to apologise to Waterside Echo and Harestone because I never made that inner city walk, I just hope there will be a next time.

Guest Barbara M

I am so pleased you enjoyed your trip " Back Home " and you wasn't upset in how much Sheffield has changed over the years .

I know I was & I had only been " Down South " for 6 years !!!

Glad you enjoyed your visit, you certainly packed as much in as you could! Sorry your missus had to miss it though.

I am back in Tassie now after spending a wonderful 6 weeks in the UK,

And I would like to apologise to Waterside Echo and Harestone because I never made that inner city walk, I just hope there will be a next time.

Thanks THYLACINE, though it should be me sending the apologies for not getting in touch. I did reseach the walk though as far as the old tram terminus on Batley Street so may give it a go some time. Anyway, we have both got this far so lets just hope there is a next time. Glad you enjoyed your time in Yorkshire's best city, it still is you know! Regards, W/E.

And I should add my two penn'th to this as well sir.

Hope you look me up when you come again - back at the Birley eh

(You should be receiving mail any day now.)