Channel Island Evacuation Society Sheffield Ww2

Just about finished an account of the Society and wondered if anyone knows anything about it?

I could not find anything at the Local studies or Archives and therefore going to offer them my account, not very big but better than nothing. I only know of it because of my grandfathers involvement.

They met at the Nether Congregational Chapel which I think was also called the Lower Chapel. Now the Central Reform Church.

It was not one of the larger Societies and of course most returned home. the photo (below) was probably taken at the above and probably included the people listed.

Mr C.A.U Rose Hon,Sec. (the one holding the shield?) lived at 121 Cemetery Rd.

Mr E.J.Audoire Vice chair Mrs S.J.Audrain

W H. Gile

R.Wilks-Green

Phylis Streader.

Mrs W.Soudain lived at 63 Barker Rd

Mrs D.Pontin

http://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic/8625-channel-island-evacuees-sheffield-photo/?hl=guernsey

Hi Miked, I don't know if you are still posting but my Grandfather Herbert Ludlam was also on the committee.  He is the man with the lighter coloured suit, first man on the left of the photo.  I think the man on the far right is Jack Styles who was also on the committee and brother-in-law to Herbert. They were both married to Guernsey girls who moved to Sheffield between 1911 and 1913 with parents and siblings - The Maillards.

Just to confirm that the photo location was indeed at the former Nether Chapel. The windows on the right are the Victoria Hall on Chapel Walk and the tombstone (bottom rh corner) was one of a few along that flank frontage to the Walk. The PS shot here was taken when the old chapel was demolished;http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s31085&pos=85&action=zoom&id=103293