The Duke of Darnall

Guest tsavo

I've ofter heard him mentioned but never heard any real details. Anyone know his story?

The Duke of Darnall is affectionately remembered for his pretensions of grandeur. He was often seen in Sheffield helpfully directing traffic where no help was required. He could be a nuisance but he is remembered with affection. He too is in the book.

From A Darnall Camera - J R Wrigley

http://cnb-host4.clickandbuild.com/cnb/sho...rodCategoryID=8

I remember the duke of darnall in the fifty's standing at the top of Angel street directing the traffic, ( where the policeman used to stand on point duty ) dressed in his usual black bowler hat, pinstripe trouser's, frock coat and rolled umbrella waving his hand's about,( just like the policeman) with traffic zooming past him not taking a blind bit of notice. He once jumped out in front of me when I was driving a double deck bus down the moor and I had to hit the brakes throwing my conductress flat on her face on the top deck. The duke of darnall was not responsible for his action's, he should have been kept in a secure, safe place instead of being let loose on the community.

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/archive/index.php/t-285.html

Having a chat with bro-in-law who mentioned the Duke of Darnall. Says his death was reported in The Star. Can anyone throw any light on this character please.

I'm sure I've seen an article in a book that mentions him - fairly recently - would it be in the book that came out about 18months ago? I think it was called Sheffield Chronicles. Sorry I can't be more helpful but I guess someone will have the book.

Lyn

Guest Burash35

The Duke Darnell lived in Main Road Darnell about four doors up from the Ball inn..I was passing his house and he indicated to me

he had cut his hand, I took him into his home to apply a bandage...at one time in that era he waved his walking stick in my

face, I had seen this before as I worked in the City center

Guest dendewsnap

I was 16 yrs old, working as a cashier fr The Telegragh & Star from 1954 until 1964 when I emigrated to Tangier, Morocco.

The Duke used to stand underneath the Policman who was in charge of the traffic imitating. He always caused a smile to everyone's face, especially the crowds who were there to meet friends or relatives on Cole's corner.

I used to always stand at the entrance at Kemsley House to see the stars like, Margaret Lockwood, Jean Simmons, Stewart Granger, Jean Kent and many others, visiting the Telegapgh & Star. Also, Johnny Spizster the manager of The Empire getting out of a taxi backwards, on his hands & knees, as he was so huge. Also, leaving work walking Dow High St with a White hankerchef in front f our first Ford Angla to guide my partner through the fog.

We thought we were the only gays in the city in those days.

Guest maureennewton

Yes I remember the Duke of Darnall with his spats guiding the traffic. There was also Big Ada who used to sell at the top of Dixon Lane. i think she was a friend of his She came to a very bad end sadly..0o you remember the other strange man who used to go through the dustbins. I always saw him on a Saturday in Trafalgar square, He wore goggles as well as tails? M

When I was office junior at Makins on Darnall Rd I had to walk from Attercliffe Baths to work. If I saw the "Duke" coming towards me I used to hide until he had gone past many a time I was late for work. I wouldn't walk past him because he used to hit you with the kid gloves he always carried. At 15 it was scary to see him all dressed up complete with bowler hat and spats at 8.30 in the morning.