The Limit Club Sheffield

Sheffield History

Better/edgier music than the Leadmill, wading around in a couple of inches of Newkie Brown on the floor and one particularly good Sharp Cuts gig.

First night there was 15th August 1978. Cabaret Voltaire (strange but good), Molodoy (woeful Clockwork Orange rip-offs), Deaf-Aids (forgettable) and The Push (really good).

I was only old enough to remember the final two years of the limit, it was an atmospheric, scruffy little dive and you feet always stuck to the floor, remeber that raised seating area that was to the right as you walked in where we sat drinking and smoking all night - good times as an 18/19 year old :)

On 14/10/2014 at 20:34, dodger23 said:

First night there was 15th August 1978. Cabaret Voltaire (strange but good), Molodoy (woeful Clockwork Orange rip-offs), Deaf-Aids (forgettable) and The Push (really good).

Went to that one too, Dodger, and it would have been one of my earlier ones as well, since we are v.approx the same age/FPS.

Probably more than a few GOOD nights spent, not wasted at all, in that hot and sticky old basement club! 

Some EXCELLENT music from the DJ's though...and a good few up and coming Punk/New wave groups, local, national and international at the time.

Didn't you often used to catch the 75/76 late night bus after, up to Lane Top area?There was usually a small gang of us, Sheff 3, 4 and 5 crew.

BTW - I've read most of your Life in the City of Ghosts, blog thingy too. Thanks for the postings. Got a keen stomach for memorabilia/Nostalgia nowadays, at my age!

Give my regards to Lango, Vinner, Wilma, et al, if you are in touch with them now.

First time I went,Cindy and the New Jets were on. Can't remember too much about it as I was quite new to drinking! Anyone remember them?Cheers,Bladesman.

On 17/02/2019 at 20:32, Bladesman1961 said:

First time I went,Cindy and the New Jets were on. Can't remember too much about it as I was quite new to drinking! Anyone remember them?Cheers,Bladesman.

Don't remember Cindy and the New Jets, well, maybe very vaguely....what year are you talking here?

i DO vaguely remember Cindy and the New Jets, though I cannot remember why, I may have seen them myself...or the name mentioned in Sounds or NME at the time?....if it was in 1978, they may have been support band to someone, say....Generation X perhaps?

There is nothing instantly available on Google search engine about them.

On 17/02/2019 at 20:32, Bladesman1961 said:

Cindy and the New Jets

By dropout                     
  • Posted February 20

Did anyone ever hear of this group/band?

Someone thought they played at the Sheffield Limit Club, West Street in 1978,

Anyone remember them? were they local, UK or International?

(Thanks).

215 views 0 replies
  • February 2019

Hello Bladesman,as you can see, I did a bit of research on Cindy and the New Jets....215 views, NADA! Nothing! Are you sure that is what they were called...or are you having a laugh? or did you see them somewhere else, perhaps? Have you any remaining evidence that you saw them at the Limit Club?

(Thanks)

limit.jpg

How much would you give to be able to go back in time to this gig on Monday 11th September at The Limit club when Human League, Graph, Def Leppard (down as 'deaf leppard' on this flyer) and Monitors all played?

And it was free in!