Mr Pountey (?) & The Blind Man.

jimmydunneclone

As a boy in the early '70's living in Nether Green us kids always used to talk to two people who presumably lived close by.The first was a lovely old blind man.He was tall,bald & had a labrador guide dog called Gary.I can't remember the mans name.The second was an old Polish-I think- man with polio.He had thick rimmed glasses,a bad limp and carried a wooden brief case.His name was something like Poutney.He would always tell us to make sure we had our jabs to make sure we didn't end up like him.Does anyone recall either of these people?

There was a blind guy who used to come into the Ranmoor Inn with his guide dog. This was in the 1970’s, when the Garsides ran it, he used to burst into song when Ella Garside started the sing song hour, that would be the blind guy not the dog.

On 15/01/2021 at 10:03, DaveJC said:

There was a blind guy who used to come into the Ranmoor Inn with his guide dog. This was in the 1970’s, when the Garsides ran it, he used to burst into song when Ella Garside started the sing song hour, that would be the blind guy not the dog.

Yes that has to be him.No one -apart from you-seems to know who I mean.I remember Wilf Garside throwing me out of the Rany aged 15.

17 hours ago, jimmydunneclone said:

Yes that has to be him.No one -apart from you-seems to know who I mean.I remember Wilf Garside throwing me out of the Rany aged 15.

Folk are quite rightly reminded to treat others who have physical or mental difficulties with respect. However in this case I was completely in awe of his confidence, personality and popularity, a truly top guy.