Kayser Ellison Carlisle Works Name

miked

Found the "Carlisle works" Sign

Not a great pic , shown in the corner of one below.

http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s14108&pos=1&action=zoom&id=16932

very odd that its the only picture I can find unfortunately

I had my interview there in the 60s, I remember wood panelling and display cabinets. Only visit I had since I worked at Darnall

VINTAGE LEATHER BOUND WAGES LEDGER Kayser Ellison steel works 1944-46

Darnall and Carlisle Works

Rescued from Ebay. If anyone needs me to look for names please ask

Guest johnbaz

Hi

I worked there back in 1978, By then it was Sanderson Kayser, The Carlisle street dept was for bar grinding, peeling and reeling, also there was a wire drawing/reeling and grinding shop ;-)

John :)

They had a fire at Keyser Ellison's some time after Sanderson's bought them out, probably about 1963. After the building was replaced a group of Sanderson's electricians were sent there to wire up the building and the machines that were to be installed there. I was on the job as a Sanderson's electrical apprentice. Most of the machines were we installing were bar reeling machines and centre less grinders. For your information reeling machines straighten round steel bar from the rolling mill before the centre less grinders ground the bar to an accurate size and a bright finish. The one thing we loved was the food at their canteen that was located in an old school near by. Even after the job was finished groups of us piled into cars to go back to Keyser Ellison's canteen in our lunch time.

On 20/10/2014 at 19:54, miked said:

VINTAGE LEATHER BOUND WAGES LEDGER Kayser Ellison steel works 1944-46

Darnall and Carlisle Works

Rescued from Ebay. If anyone needs me to look for names please ask

Hi miked. It's a long shot, but could you please let me know if theres any reference to a "GEORGE ARTHUR WEBSTER" in this wages ledger. thanks

Andy

On 28/01/2015 at 14:38, Old rider said:

They had a fire at Keyser Ellison's some time after Sanderson's bought them out, probably about 1963. After the building was replaced a group of Sanderson's electricians were sent there to wire up the building and the machines that were to be installed there. I was on the job as a Sanderson's electrical apprentice. Most of the machines were we installing were bar reeling machines and centre less grinders. For your information reeling machines straighten round steel bar from the rolling mill before the centre less grinders ground the bar to an accurate size and a bright finish. The one thing we loved was the food at their canteen that was located in an old school near by. Even after the job was finished groups of us piled into cars to go back to Keyser Ellison's canteen in our lunch time.

May I add an endorsement about the canteen. My employers here at Lincoln were expanding to meet the demand for machines for post WW2  rebuilding. This required more drive gears than we could handle so the old machines went out in favour of faster modern ones. 

The old ones were bought up by one Sam Bell, owner of Bell Gears sited by Kayser Ellison. We supplied the cutters, gear blanks and the drawings so it was like an outstation. My chief decided he must go and see all was well.There were no problems and Sam Bell offered lunch. So there is Jack, smart suit and coloured waist coat, the lot, ready for it.

On his return we got the story. Off into Kaysers canteen among the boiler suits, not at all what he was used to. Grudgingly he admitted it was very  good. What shook him was the query from Sam   "I don't want to worry thee   but as tha got ninepence fo't dinner?"  It was probably the first time he had met the true Sheffielder  in action on his home ground. He paid. 

I never had any problems with the gears they cut. I see that some sixty years on they are still in business and ISO 9001 Quality Assessed and that takes some doing. Another success story. l wonder what Sam would say about that.