Livesey Street

lysander

Yesterday, I was reading about the success story of Independent Forgings Ltd, whose works are there. For the life of me, I cannot remember the names of the companies operating from the street in the 50/60s. Can anyone help? :)

Yesterday, I was reading about the success story of Independent Forgings Ltd, whose works are there. For the life of me, I cannot remember the names of the companies operating from the street in the 50/60s. Can anyone help? :)

Denton and Best.

Samuel Swift. ( used to get our shovels picks and hammers from here )

On the photo 'Picture Sheffield ' corner of Livesey St/Penistone Rd during the 1950's/1960's

there used to be a forge . I believe and am almost certain it was called Eaton & Booth ( forgers).

Wonder if someone would be able to confirm it for me .

On the photo 'Picture Sheffield ' corner of Livesey St/Penistone Rd during the 1950's/1960's

there used to be a forge . I believe and am almost certain it was called Eaton & Booth ( forgers).

Wonder if someone would be able to confirm it for me .

Eaton and Booth - picturesheffield

Yes, that's correct. Eaton and Booth and their subsidiary Swift Brothers (Rolling Mills) occupied the site. The building on the corner is part of their offices. I regularly called on the MD...Ted Trickett and had a cup of tea with him....and a chat.... in this office.

Yes, that's correct. Eaton and Booth and their subsidiary Swift Brothers (Rolling Mills) occupied the site. The building on the corner is part of their offices. I regularly called on the MD...Ted Trickett and had a cup of tea with him....and a chat.... in this office.

Thanks for confirmation Eaton & Booth.

What a lovely photo produced by Steve. The forge emitting steam through

the pipe outlets above the river Loxley.

Don't know if anyone noticed on the Ordnance Survey map it included

the letter " r " by mistake in Livesey St.

Can anyone sort and explain some rivers out for me please. Steve produced the Ordnance Survey map showing

the river Loxley passing Eaton &Booth and Swift Brothers . Didn't the river Rivelin join the river Loxley at Malin Bridge ?

If so is it correct then it became the river Loxley ? So did the Loxley join the river Don ? If it did at what juncture

would it be ? I never imagined the river Loxley to come so far down as Eaton & Booth/Swift Brothers.

Can anyone sort and explain some rivers out for me please. Steve produced the Ordnance Survey map showing

the river Loxley passing Eaton &Booth and Swift Brothers . Didn't the river Rivelin join the river Loxley at Malin Bridge ?

If so is it correct then it became the river Loxley ? So did the Loxley join the river Don ? If it did at what juncture

would it be ? I never imagined the river Loxley to come so far down as Eaton & Booth/Swift Brothers.

What you state is correct castle boy, the Loxley joins the Don opposite where the old silver mill stood on Club Mill Road, Neepsend.

Here is a direct link to the 1950's OS map #32.

The Rivelin does become part of the River Loxley at Malin Bridge. It continues as the River Loxley all the way under Penistone Road and then meanders through the meadows and doesn't join the River Don until a point where Driffield Street (of ABCDE streets fame) used to end. Nowadays the confluence is just behind Burrows Toyota on Penistone Road.

HD

Edit. You beat me to it SteveHB