190 Tapton Hill

miked

Would anyone please identify 190 Tapton Hill. ? Godreys may gives Mrs Emma Dyson. Looked for the map with numbers in vain although I am sure it will be on the site.

I have a conflicting, three houses from the blacksmith abut two houses past Tapton Bank, thanks.

Thanks Steve

I had it the same the first time so nice to have another opinion. There is a map on the site with numbers but not for this top part of the road. Looking more closely at the pic there are three doors. Emmas husband was a cutler so disappointed there's no workshop, visible.

Writing a story about when their 16 year old son drowned rescuing a boy from ice in 1869, Will use your map if thats ok?,

The same pic ,below is on picturesheffield as well as the houses set back beyond and out of site. A lady in the replaced Graves Homes who lived in the cottages is still living there! thanks

Re Photo

It seems these houses were formerly the "Rose Cottage Inn" built 1750s. May account for unusual door arrangement.

Re Photo

It seems these houses were formerly the "Rose Cottage Inn" built 1750s. May account for unusual door arrangement.

If that is indeed the case, then it looks as though we have a new addition to the pubs list.

Where did the information come from miked ?

Can you post it please.

How interesting

I got the info from Hansons first book "Images of Crosspool" 2003. She has the same pic as the one I posted above. Below pic, it says,-

" Tapton Hill Rd was, formed and stoned in 1794. House nos. 83 and 85 were formally Rose Cottage Inn, built in the 1750s The licence to the Inn transferred to the Kings Head in 1860, by which time Manchester Rd was the main rd.

So a strange contradiction! I think the building shown in "My" pic looks more like a pub? Below the pic in her second book, that Vox posted, it says the pub stood where 83-85 NOW STANDS "one of the houses retains its name.

Two different locations I think?

Steve HB posted a map, I wonder if he has the rest of it?

http://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic/9982-dalton-cottages/?hl=crosspool#entry78118

Just had a word with my 90 year old informant, (Still living in the same spot) she knows nothing about about the pub but has told me Pinder and Dyson families lived there..( Nailmaker and Cutler) No 188 and 190 resp. ( in Godfrey 1902 map)

Been up to have a look at the "new" Rose Cottage house which is at the junction of Hallgate on Tapton Hill rd,. and probably no.16 on the above 1950 map.

Thanks Steve

I had it the same the first time so nice to have another opinion. There is a map on the site with numbers but not for this top part of the road. Looking more closely at the pic there are three doors. Emmas husband was a cutler so disappointed there's no workshop, visible.

Writing a story about when their 16 year old son drowned rescuing a boy from ice in 1869, Will use your map if thats ok?,

The same pic ,below is on picturesheffield as well as the houses set back beyond and out of site. A lady in the replaced Graves Homes who lived in the cottages is still living there! thanks

attachicon.giftapton hill 190.JPG

Just in case you have not got this News Item.

The Sheffield & Rotherham Independent (Sheffield, England), Monday, January 04, 1869;

Got it thanks, just about finished the story. Usual problem as to what to do with it. Anyone know how to publish a booklet?

Both Frederick and myself descended from the cutlers of Bingley House Farm in Rivelin. Frederick was my second cousin three times removed. Before his family moved to Clough Fields his family history is the same as mine. We go back to Low Bradfield, the first Dysons recorded in the parish.

I cant find out yet when his mother Emma (b1826) died or where buried. She doesnt seem to be with Fred and husband Mathew at Fulwood where there is an obelisk. I would be grateful for any help.

​The family was quite large so there must be descendent about so if anyone knows any, please let me know.

Thanks, Mike