Alfred Mccarthy

Guest mickbash

Guest mickbash

My grandad who I believe to be Alfred died at Bramhall Lane football ground in August 1966 aged 70. Can anyone tell if it would have been in the local press and do they know what the papers would be called. I know his death certificate was signed by his stepdaughter an Ivy Richards who lived at Lower Edges Crescent Sheffield. Any information on any of the above would be welcome.

Alfred is my 2nd Great Uncle. His parents, Michael McCarthy and Ellen Marie Nixon are my great great grandparents. Alfred was living at 55 Hallyburton Road in 1966 when he died. Yes, he died at Bramall Lane. United were playing Newcastle United one Tuesday evening. United won 1-0 with a penalty. He was a rum character, bit like his father.

Kevin

Guest mickbash

Hi Kevin, thanks for that info. I didn't know who they were playing. Alfred was also fined for not supporting his first wife, Lily Wright. I think he deserted her almost as soon as he married her. He had three children with my Nan, first one died at birth, second one died when he was 1 year old, then the third one, my mam, she died aged 49. I was called Michael after Alfred's dad. Do you have any info on Michael McCarthy and his father, think his name was William. I do know a little, but any help would be welcome.