Blonk St Bridge

tozzin

I saw these initials on extreme right of Blonk St Bridge today but I didn't have a camera with me,so Google Earth came into play, the initials are J.H. and what looks like R.B. The builder of the bridge was a Mr Birchett according to "Crossin ` O`er" by Roy Davy so I suspect the R.B. initials are Mr Burchett's but I cant find a builder of that name, I know the Architects were Woodhead & Hirst but I couldn't imagine these professional's just one of the partners initials carved, I think its the Masons and the builders who are scribed here. Has anyone any fresh ideas.

Connected with John Henry Bryars, veterinary surgeon of Royal Exchange Buildings/Lady's Bridge,

I would have thought.

I can see that the initials could be interpreted as something to do with John Henry Bryars but why would he have his initials on the bridge? he would surely be on Ladysbridge or the Royal Exchange Buildings.

Is it an "R" or a "B"?

Could be J H B & the number 8, John Henry Bryars was at 8 Lady's Bridge, that could also be accessed via Blonk Street.

Is it an "R" or a "B"?

Could be J H B & the number 8, John Henry Bryars was at 8 Lady's Bridge, that could also be accessed via Blonk Street.

attachicon.gifbry.jpg

I've just been down with camera in hand and you are quite correct it is "B. B."

Do not know anything about the initials. But I remember being taken by my father in the mid 1960's to the barbers shop that stood on Blonk street. One of the barbers was a female who had a club foot, and I remember with fear the sound of her iron boot on the floor as she moved round you as she was cutting your hair..

Can anybody else remember going to that barbers

I was told that the initials on the bridge referred to Huntsman and Benjamin Blonk. The Whicker Tilts on the left hand side of Blonk Street facing The Wicker from the bridge were rented originally by Blonk & Co. who eventually bought the tilt forge from the Norfolk Estate. The site was then bought by Huntsman for his steel melting business from the Blonk heirs. If you look into the large glass windows at the end of the building next to the bridge you will see the chimney of the Huntsman furnaces preserved as a historic monument.

A bit of Blonk history. William Blonk came from Cromwell in Notts. His son became a "Scissorsmith" as did successive generations. They owned or rented The Castle Orchard wheel and then expanded to The Wicker Wheel and The Wicker Tilt. The Blonk ownership of The Wicker Tilt gave the name to Blonk Street.