108 Andover Street Pitsmoor Brightside

duckweed

Does anyone know the history of this little old house? I don't mean when it was a fish and chip shop. I mean when it was a farm cottage or woodcutters cottage? I have tried looking at early census records and can't find it as there was no Andover Street then. When did Andover Street come into being?

• Like 1

Interesting, SheffieldRecordsOline.org.uk lists 10 people as living on Andover Street in 1852 - not quite sure I believe it mind you....

OK, SheffieldIndexers.com has a whole bunch of people there in 1852 and 1864-5. Including PPEILSCHMIDT, Adolphus in 1864-5. Nice name. :P

Interesting, SheffieldRecordsOline.org.uk lists 10 people as living on Andover Street in 1852 - not quite sure I believe it mind you....

PictureSheffield

Some archtects design from 1874. School was built 1875 so could/should be on some Census or other; wether is was called Andover Street is another question ... possibly.

"Not my bit of town, had to look it up !"

'ere, you are making this stuff up !

The chapel in Andover-street is a neat Gothic structure, also of stone, and was opened in 1865.

Does anyone know the history of this little old house? I don't mean when it was a fish and chip shop. I mean when it was a farm cottage or woodcutters cottage? I have tried looking at early census records and can't find it as there was no Andover Street then. When did Andover Street come into being?

Here's the little house in 1853, but as you say, it pre-dates Andover street

In the 1830's and 1840s Mrs Kettle ran her girls' school at Rock House. "108" was next to it (see the 1853 map above). The census for 1841 shows Mrs Kettle living at Burngraeve Terrace, which I suppose was one of the blocks of houses adjacent to Rock House. Therefore I would suggest that "108"s occupier is on the same census sheet as Mrs Kettle. Possibly Burngreave Cottage? George Taylor, gardener? (and yes, Robert Leader snr and junior were neighbours)

And in 1851 there was only one dwelling on Andover street, just off Rock street - Mary Whitehead and her son (George Taylor, gardener was in Hillfoot in 1851):

If "108" was Burngreave Cottage, then:

June 15 1833 Sheffield Independent: “ On Monday night, Mr William Eadon, of Burngreave Cottage, was robbed on his way home. The rogues took his watch and money (fortunately not much,) and also his boots.

Burngreave House and Burngreave place are a long way off when I look at my map of 1849. Burngreave Place is on what was called Tomcross Lane which is across a lot of fields. Burngreave House is corner of Burngreave Road and Occupation Road. I suppose it could have been all of one very big estate including 2 quarries. Maybe looking for details on Burngreave House might give a clue?

It fills in a bit of the detail but doesn't really tell us why there is a statement that 108 is most probably tudor. The building is undoubtedly old but no historian has ever looked at it in any great detail. It is not a listed building. It would seem to be a workers cottage from its size but worker for what? Was it originally one of several buildings or was it a small time farmer? Nearest farmer I can get is one who lived in Little Roe Wood Lane, Edward Bullivant, but he wasn't local man. Early deeds seem to be all about Woodside and Raisin House. Would either have included the fields and house in their farms? Is there a Tithe map for Brightside?

Looking in various sources and have found that pre 1804 (when Workhouse was built) there were very few houses in area. There was Burngreave House owned by Joseph Bailey which was built around 1770s and Page Hall by Joseph Broadbent, Shirecliffe which was very old house (possibly 17thc) and a vague mention of a House called the Grove (though can't be sure how old it was). Rock Street did not exist nor did Burngreave Road. Toll road was built 1759. Crabtree nature reserve is where Pitsmoor Common was? Apparently the area around 108 Andover Street had a lot of market gardens so perhaps this was always an area of small holdings? It is surprising how little information on Brightside area there is pre 1800s. Land was owned by De mounteney family before 1580s and then sold to Talbots so House in Andover Street could be new addition by Talbot possibly. Presumably there were other houses in the area and barns.

Hello All

Iam the current owner of the Whitehouse and have been since 2007.  I am in the process of getting it listed and there is some very good information in this thread, thank you. I've had spells of looking at the history of the building but not much luck pre 1800's. I believe it's on a 1823 map of Sheffield. It's built from rough sandstone, probably from the quarry on Burngreave rd, and has a very large red brick chimney (later addition). I believe it was a small hold cottage, I have found smelt in the garden which relates to use of a metal worker living there at some point. Maybe that has something to do with the Cab proprietor living there? Would be good to try and look into Talbots title deeds! Not sure where to go from here/ Any advice would be appreciated. 

Sheffield_1823_plan.jpg

On 15/06/2014 at 11:02, duckweed said:

Looking in various sources and have found that pre 1804 (when Workhouse was built) there were very few houses in area. There was Burngreave House owned by Joseph Bailey which was built around 1770s and Page Hall by Joseph Broadbent, Shirecliffe which was very old house (possibly 17thc) and a vague mention of a House called the Grove (though can't be sure how old it was). Rock Street did not exist nor did Burngreave Road. Toll road was built 1759. Crabtree nature reserve is where Pitsmoor Common was? Apparently the area around 108 Andover Street had a lot of market gardens so perhaps this was always an area of small holdings? It is surprising how little information on Brightside area there is pre 1800s. Land was owned by De mounteney family before 1580s and then sold to Talbots so House in Andover Street could be new addition by Talbot possibly. Presumably there were other houses in the area and barns.

Hello All

I am the current owner of the Whitehouse and have been since 2007.  I am in the process of getting it listed and there is some very good information in this thread, thank you. I've had spells of looking at the history of the building but not much luck pre 1800's. I believe it's on a 1823 map of Sheffield. It's built from rough sandstone, probably from the quarry on Burngreave Rd, and has a very large red brick chimney (later addition). I believe it was a small hold cottage, I have found smelt in the garden which relates to use of a metal worker living there at some point. Maybe that has something to do with the Cab proprietor living there? Would be good to try and look into Talbots title deeds! Not sure where to go from here/ Any advice would be appreciated. 

Sheffield_1823_plan.thumb.jpg.088ae88b25ef0fb454881a91a1ee1ee3.jpg

I can't find a mention of Andover Street before 1851 so am assuming cottage was on its own before. However looking at Sheffield Indexers trade indexes there seems to be more than one house in Andover Street so confused. Finding houses for rent in Andover Street it says they belong to Duke of Norfolk so maybe there are some records of properties for Duke of Norfolk in the Sheffield Archives? Also in local studies they have a file of houses that came up for sale (estate agent type thing). Might be a description of the cottage and map or possibly the new houses built in 1850s that may have detail and name of the cottage within the building plan.    

On 13/06/2014 at 16:24, RichardB said:

Gosh !

Thats a fascinating book. Is it available to buy as a physical book, or just an online effort? Any idea of its title?

It seems to be a WikiBook, which means it has been compiled from lots of different sources into WikiPedia (hence the PediaPress publisher name).

you can pay $65+ postage for a hard copy, or download a complete copy in PDF format here:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Book:Sheffield

Seems to be the URL that is linked to the google books page in the earlier link?