The Green Room, Devonshire St

rasp

Does anyone know the history of the building now occupied by The Green Room. I know it was formerly Mr Kites. I have heard that it used to be an Oriental restaurant, which was a front for a knocking shop frequented by local businessmen - can this be true?

Try Sheffield indexers. This may tell you if it was an oriental restaurant. I doubt it will record the " knocking shop" facility though.

I remember the premises as one of the two Rickshaw Chinese restaurants, the second (and original one) being on the top corner of Eldon Street.

I frequented it very frequently in the sixties but I don't ever remember being offered anything other than bean shoots and lychees. Mind you I was an hairy-bottomed apprentice electrician at that time 'so perhaps the businessmen were given a different menu with additional selections.

I think perhaps this rumour came about because according to another forum, one of the upstairs floors was divided up into small compartments where the staff slept while off duty. Perhaps when the Chinese moved out, the new tenants got the wrong idea. Not that I would have any idea what the interior of a "knocking shop" would look like. :rolleyes:

HD

Edited in the interests of political correctness

I remember this being a Chinese restaurant too.

I used to go there in the 60s. I also used to go when it was Mr Kites and I loved it,

it was good food.

Looking through Kelly's Directories it seems the Rickshaw [ 2nd one ] at 150-54 Devonshire Street

first came under the name Rickshaw Boutique & Arts & Restaurant.

It most likely opened around 1963 as it was not listed before that but obviously the first Rickshaw

on corner of Eldon Street and Westhill Terrace was established before that.

I also came across another one which I used to visit, the Chopstick, 164 Devonshire Street [1968 ]

Does anyone remember that one?

If there were anyone not behaving themselves in the restaurant and had ordered a curry then you

received one that was extra extra hot hot hot.. That quietened them down.