2 Ww1 Star Medals?

I was having a chat with a friend whose grandfather fought in WW1 and was killed in a gas attack. When talking about medals she said he had 2 star medals. I have seen them and sure enough both were awarded to Edward Gallagher but they have different numbers on them.

I thought only one star medal was awarded and before 1915 at that.

Anyone any suggestions?

There were two "Star " medals awarded during the Great War.

The 1914 or "Mons Star" was awarded for service between 5 Aug and 22 Nov 1914.( the period of the Battle of Mons)

The 1914-15 Star...sometimes known as "Pip", was a more widely awarded medal for service between 5Aug 1914 and 31 December 1915

Just one more point. The two numbers are different. One matches his regimental number, the other doesn't. Anyone know why? Anything to do with a re-numbering exercise? Is it possible to say which medal was the Mons medal and which one was the "pip" medal? Are they different in any way?

The 1914 and 14-15 stars are of a similar design. The former bearing the date "1914" and was awarded to those fighting on the Western Front whilst the latter shows "1914-15". The later medal was issued to those who had fought in any other theatre of war and was never issued on its own, always being accompanied by the British War medal and the Victory medal ...hence "pip" "squeak" and "wilfred"

It would seem that the reason for the differing numbers is because no person could have both medals...it was one or the other ....so the medals( with the numbers), almost certainly, must have gone to two individuals.

Is this him!

Edward Gallagher

Death Date:
12 Jun 1917

Death Location:
France & Flanders

Enlistment Location:
Sheffield

Private

Regiment:
York and Lancaster Regiment

Battalion:
1/4th (Hallamshire) (T.F.) Battalion

Number:

Type of Casualty:
Killed in action

Theatre of War:
Western European Theatre

If it is his war record shows that he was killed in action on the 12 June 1917.

He lived at 263 Duke Street.

Yes this is him. The number you quoted is on one of the star medals. The number on the other one is 12817. The other difference between the star medals is that the one with the latter number has yorks regiment. The other one has yorks and lancs regiment. His service record gives his number on joining in 1914 as 2225 and when asked whether in service previously said yes 5 years.

There's a full service record on Ancestry. If you want it I can pull it off.

I was looking at it and he was reported missing before being declared. There are however some big holes in some of the papers as these were rescued from being bombed in WW2.

His widow was awarded a pension too.

After talking with family realise that most likely reason for 2 star medals for E Gallagher is that there were 2 E gallaghers! Edward and Ernest - will check out Ernests number but pretty sure this is explanation as Ernest was un married and likely that his medal finished up with his sister- in- law.