Sheffield Cafe's Of The Past

Sheffield History

Would that be Mary Gentle's Cafe, vox?

It has a mention in the 'Fish & Chip Shops' Topic

:)

HaHa - it most certainly was. Thanks.

Immediate email to the lads in my old 60's band to remind them.

Saturday morning tromp around the music shops then off to "Mary Gentle" for sausage, egg, chips and beans, 2 slices and a cup of tea.

Guest skeets

That's crazy !!!

I bet it was hilarious !

lol

HI Admin It's 68 yrs since l first ate in Joe's cafe, it was then run by Joes father and mother, and was called BUTLERS.

I recall Mr Butler and can see him in my minds eye now serving the queue, yes you had to be in one or you did not get in, he was a big fellow who ruled no nonsense, One was served by him, and had to say what you wanted at once, with no studying the menu, written in chalk on a board hung on the wall, he'd shout

"Come on come on you shoud have read that before now, next man please who knows he wants,"

and would then serve the embarassed one next, this would create a good laugh from the lads behind, very rare to see a female patron in those days,! one did'nt pay for his meal untill he had eaten, and then went to the pay desk "mann'ed" by a daughter, this was in another room, with the exit door, she would create a "TAKE OFF" of the old man saying the same spiel if you didn't have the correct money, creating another laugh from the "patrons".

There were two eating rooms one with the counter to pay at the side of the exit door, this method of paying for one's meal, was by just by declaring what you had had, this was a very trusting to honesty method, and some were not so honest , l found this place very good with exellent food, albeit rough and ready, if l remember rightly one could have" york" to any meal and as many as you wanted up to 4 at a penny each. The average meal at that time during the war was one and threepence [8]

Those were the days my love.

Skeets.

Guest skeets

Try picking up some teacakes from Lilly's. Toasted, with a good dollop of Lurpak butter, and you come close to the old taste!

HI Tasvo you just beat me to re; Hudson's corner Surrey st and Norfolk st ,heres a photo of my eldest bro Joe who was a waiter at the Hilton Hotel but previously worked at Hudsons . SkeetsPS you may just know this brother if you ate at Hudsons, far nicer chap than my other brother

Guest skeets

THIS WAS SUPPOSED TO BE THE 2CND PHOTO I BELIEVE THIS PHOTO WAS WHEN HE WAS IN THE ROYAL HORSE ARTILLERY BEFORE THE WAR, HE REJOINED THE RASC AT THE OUTBREAK OF THE WAR.Skeets [why am l getting2 photo's]

Is this where you mean, Ellesse.

Hi Stuart

Yes that's the one I mean - brilliant, thank you, although it wasn't like that then in the 1960's

Hi Stuart

Yes that's the one I mean - brilliant, thank you, although it wasn't like that then in the 1960's

It has been Al Carreto's for some time now possibly mid 1980's, used to do good spare ribs lol

am i going blind or has nobody mentioned the world famous butlers transport cafe on brook hill? (now butlers balti house)

who could forget the huge cow pie in the window.

I certainly can, along with the 1920's RAC road map inside, fantastic, it's where I picked up my taste for Henderson's Relish, the only foodstuff I know, that contains tape head cleaner he he he he he he

HI Admin It's 68 yrs since l first ate in Joe's cafe, it was then run by Joes father and mother, and was called BUTLERS.

I recall Mr Butler and can see him in my minds eye now serving the queue, yes you had to be in one or you did not get in, he was a big fellow who ruled no nonsense, One was served by him, and had to say what you wanted at once, with no studying the menu, written in chalk on a board hung on the wall, he'd shout

"Come on come on you shoud have read that before now, next man please who knows he wants,"

and would then serve the embarassed one next, this would create a good laugh from the lads behind, very rare to see a female patron in those days,! one did'nt pay for his meal untill he had eaten, and then went to the pay desk "mann'ed" by a daughter, this was in another room, with the exit door, she would create a "TAKE OFF" of the old man saying the same spiel if you didn't have the correct money, creating another laugh from the "patrons".

There were two eating rooms one with the counter to pay at the side of the exit door, this method of paying for one's meal, was by just by declaring what you had had, this was a very trusting to honesty method, and some were not so honest , l found this place very good with exellent food, albeit rough and ready, if l remember rightly one could have" york" to any meal and as many as you wanted up to 4 at a penny each. The average meal at that time during the war was one and threepence [8]

Those were the days my love.

Skeets.

I think skeets is mixing Joes cafe at the top of Regent street and Butlers on Brookhill.

They were both around at the same time but I think I prefered Butlers.

Still in the same area (St Mary's Rd) a corner Cafe stood on the Junction of Edmund Road and St Mary's Road,

picturesheffield

I remember my Aunt Edna taking me in there, and we always had a cup of tea and a toasted T- cake.

And "How come toasted T- cakes never seem to taste as good as they did forty five years ago" :(

Was this the one that was old fashioned inside run by a lady 1970's all she ever seemed to do was toast, was involved in it's demolition, it had a marvellous old pendant centre gas light fitting in the living quarters, commandeered by, I think one of the museums.

In addition to Marsden's Milk Bars on Pinstone Street and Change Alley (mentioned in the first post of this thread, there was another one at Moorhead according to the advert posted here

Do you mean on the corner of Asline Rd and London Rd early 1970's? I can't remember if he was called Ron or not.

If so it was an off licence called Wine Bins ?? before it became the café.

This was next door to The Glory Hole second hand shop (Asline Rd) where I worked at the time.

We had a bit of an inconvenient fall out with him for a short time.

Daft thing to fall out about but -

Someone went round for teas and he poured out the mugs but one of them was only part full so he asked for a top up.

Ron? obliged by topping up the mug with hot water. It was pointed out that he should have topped it with tea, not just water.

A debate ensued which resulted in a boycott on both sides.

This lasted for a few days until we realised how inconvenient it was for us - and he realised how much money he was losing.

Funny the little things one remembers.

-----------

Also to add to the list is La Favorita AKA The Fav on Calver Street. Another Mod Haunt in the 60's

Sorry only just noticed your reply lol. I remember the Glory hole, did they later move to sharrovale road ?.Rons was next door as you pointed out. Ron later opened a second hand shop on heeley bottom.

Sorry only just noticed your reply lol . I remember the Glory hole, did they later move to sharrovale road ?.Rons was next door as you pointed out. Ron later opened a second hand shop on heeley bottom.

We had Sharrow Vale at the same time as Asline Rd. Along with shops at Faileigh (Manor Top), Spital Hill & Langsett Rd. We also took on the old Jowetts Pawn brokers shop, also on Asline Rd, which was used as storage.

When The Asline Rd shops were demolished all the other branches were closed with the exception of Sharrow Vale Rd, which my cousin continued to run on his own until he retired.

Was Ron's shop right at the other end near Bramall Lane?

We had Sharrow Vale at the same time as Asline Rd. Along with shops at Faileigh (Manor Top), Spital Hill & Langsett Rd. We also took on the old Jowetts Pawn brokers shop, also on Asline Rd, which was used as storage.

When The Asline Rd shops were demolished all the other branches were closed with the exception of Sharrow Vale Rd, which my cousin continued to run on his own until he retired.

Was Ron's shop right at the other end near Bramall Lane?

I think your trying to confuse me lol. Rons cafe was next door to your shop (london road end) as you previously mentioned. You might also remember there was another seconhand shop on asline road(nearer bramhall lane past pollards old shop) a bloke called Ken? owned it. There apparently was a cafe on the corner of bramhall lane/asline road but that was there some time before rons cafe. By the way Rons seconhand shop was facing yorkshire bank on heeley bottom.

I think your trying to confuse me lol . Rons cafe was next door to your shop (london road end) as you previously mentioned. You might also remember there was another seconhand shop on asline road(nearer bramhall lane past pollards old shop) a bloke called Ken? owned it. There apparently was a cafe on the corner of bramhall lane/asline road but that was there some time before rons cafe. By the way Rons seconhand shop was facing yorkshire bank on heeley bottom.

No - You're trying to confuse me. lol

I'm also confusing myself. :o

I know his cafe was next door. When I said Shop I meant his 2nd hand shop. (which you say was facing the Yorkshire bank).

Now you mention it, I remember Ken's 2nd hand shop was the one at the other end of Asline. That's the one I thought was Ron's.

Nightmare - sorry :)

I don't suppose you know of any photos of Ron's Cafe/Glory Hole. I've been searching for ages. No one I know has anything.

An artist painted our corner at some time in the 70's. He sat on the opposite corner near the chemists. People said it was Joe Scarborough - which sounds right. It was the sort of scene he used to paint. I've tried to find out if a picture exists but - no luck.

No - You're trying to confuse me. lol

I'm also confusing myself. :o

I know his cafe was next door. When I said Shop I meant his 2nd hand shop. (which you say was facing the Yorkshire bank).

Now you mention it, I remember Ken's 2nd hand shop was the one at the other end of Asline. That's the one I thought was Ron's.

Nightmare - sorry :)

I don't suppose you know of any photos of Ron's Cafe/Glory Hole. I've been searching for ages. No one I know has anything.

An artist painted our corner at some time in the 70's. He sat on the opposite corner near the chemists. People said it was Joe Scarborough - which sounds right. It was the sort of scene he used to paint. I've tried to find out if a picture exists but - no luck.

Hi again vox, im sorry i havent come across any pics. The only person i knew who could possibly source pics etc of that area was John keller who had the antique shop on Abbeydale road (almost across from fieldhead road) You probably knew of him as he was well known in the area. John recently passed away, last time i passed his shop there was a sale on so it may well be closed down now.

I was involved in demolishing Asline Road and the surrounding area, the cafe I remember was on a corner near the School, Harrington Road? the reason I remember it there were a couple of mummified moggies under the floorboards, and we used to have our breaks in there, wondered why the bacon was a bit tough lol friendly fella had the cafe but after 30 odd years i'm afraid his name escapes me.

Here's a map.

Rons cafe in purple, (This was a wine shop before the cafe.)

The Glory Hole where I worked is in red.

Over the road at number 72 was the old Pawn brokers shop which we took for storage after it ceased trading.

The Pawn Brokers was called Jowetts / Jewetts or something similar. Prior to being Jowetts it was run by a Frank Radford (early 20th century)

The Light Green building was a glass shop but before that I think it did bike repairs.

Yellow building was a large piano showroom.

On Bramall Lane (coloured Dark Blue) was the old Spiritualist Church which we also rented for storage.

At the rear of number 375 lived Old Bert and his wife. They had a beautiful condition BSA and sidecar.

I don't know how old or what model, but it was an eye-catcher even in the early 70's

I can't remember what the other shop was (No. 373)

414 (Dark green) was an early example of a Chinese Chip Shop.

Considering all the years I worked on that corner, (part time and full time roughly 1969 to '78) you'd think I'd have a better memory of the old place than that.

If anybody can add to it or correct me would be good.

Here's a map.

Over the road at number 72 was the old Pawn brokers shop which we took for storage after it ceased trading.

The Pawn Brokers was called Jowetts / Jewetts or something similar. Prior to being Jowetts it was run by a Frank Radford (early 20th century)

The Light Green building was a glass shop but before that I think it did bike repairs.

On Bramall Lane (coloured Dark Blue) was the old Spiritualist Church which we also rented for storage.

At the rear of number 375 lived Old Bert and his wife. They had a beautiful condition BSA and sidecar.

I don't know how old or what model, but it was an eye-catcher even in the early 70's

Considering all the years I worked on that corner, (part time and full time roughly 1969 to '78) you'd think I'd have a better memory of the old place than that.

Few things to add but not set in stone as memorys fades lol .

Asline road.....

82 Mr robinson, he was a barber and had a barbers chair in the halway of his house where he cut hair.

58 was pollards hardware shop.

Around 26 would have been Kens secondhand shop. 27 was a bakery shop.

582 Shoreham st was Duggies corner shop.

131 Alderson road Arthurs butcher.

353? bramhall lane JE James bikes, later expanded to at least 4 shops.

London road near chinese,

416 Guy electrical,

426 small seconhand shop sold clothes shoes and bought cigarette coupons (old lady)

432 was a printers called Bishops?

I seem to think 373 was a bookies at one time? Can you remember a large family (about 15 of them) called the Greens lived in the yard behind 373?

Can you remember a large family (about 15 of them) called the Greens lived in the yard behind 373?

Now you come to mention it I do remember the Greens with all the kids.

All well behaved and well turned out I remember.

I've thought of another couple Onlyme

89, Asline was Bob Cherry. A massive bloke who had an upholstery business called Cherry Tree Upholstery.

He had a Ford Executive (Big Pig). Even that used to groan under his weight.

London Rd (2 shops around 347) was another 2nd hand furniture business. Brookes and Sons. They were a bit more up market than our junk shop. The old man was a french polisher and all their stock was very well turned out.

London rd 315 was another 2nd hand furniture shop. Their name began with F - think think think!!! :(

Now you come to mention it I do remember the Greens with all the kids.

All well behaved and well turned out I remember.

I've thought of another couple Onlyme

89, Asline was Bob Cherry. A MASSIVE bloke who had an upholstery business called Cherry Tree Upholstery.

He had a Ford Executive (Big Pig). Even that used to groan under his weight.

London Rd (2 shops around 347) was another 2nd hand furniture business. Brookes and Sons. They were a bit more up market than our junk shop. The old man was a french polisher and all their stock was very well turned out.

London rd 315 was another 2nd hand furniture shop. Their name began with F - think think think!!! :(

I remember 347 or thereabouts did it sell piano's. Don morrison mountaineering shop and a bike shop were close to it. The name your thinking of at 315 was Funnels, he went on to sell new 3 piece sofas.

Just realised, that old church on Bramhall lane you used as storage was in the back yard of a woman called mrs Simkins. She was also the school crossing lady on Bramhall lane.

There was a café on Mowbray Street just beyond the baths and past the Brown Cow. I remember one of the engineers at Wigfalls went in every day. Now you may say, so what, however I understand the only main course on the menu every day was roast beef, yes it never changed.

Well that was the story.

jiginc

Here's a map.

That would be the one i'm thinking of fair sized frontage to it, we flattened most of the area then i had the job of putting humps back in it for landscaping :rolleyes:

Guest SuzyC

The Leprechaun AKA The Lep at the top of Glossop Road, Broomhill. Owned by Mick Housley 1960's

I'd like to hear from anyone who used to go there. It was one of my Mod haunts and there was always a line of scooters outside in the evenings.

I keep having the odd Google but never find anything.

I remember the Lep (we lived down Westbourne Road). I went in a few times but it was a bit risky because our draconian headmistress at the High School was in the habit of walking past with her dog and peering through the condensation covered windows to see if any of "her girls" were in this den of iniquity - quite what business it was of hers what you did after school is another matter hmmm. Also used to go in the Fav to meet friends too in the 60´s. Some of us also hung out in the Roman Room which was off Leopold Street, was it Orchard Street? That was more of a restaurant but in the day they used to put up with us gathering there and sitting for hours over a cup of coffee. Will try and remember some of the people I met in there --- it´s a long time ago ;-)

Guest SuzyC

The Leprechaun AKA The Lep at the top of Glossop Road, Broomhill. Owned by Mick Housley 1960's

I'd like to hear from anyone who used to go there. It was one of my Mod haunts and there was always a line of scooters outside in the evenings.

I keep having the odd Google but never find anything.

I´m sure I replied to this earlier on but couldn´t find the result. Anyway I did go into the Lep a few times (lived in Westbourne Road) although it was a bit iffy as my draconian headmistress at the High School used to walk her dog round Broomhill and gaze through the fogged up windows of the Lep to see if any of her "wayward girls" were there in the "den of iniquity" - a coffee house! What right she had to dictate what we did after school is a mystery to me hmmm, enough said. So I didn´t know many people there, was actually supposed to be at St Marks youth club down the road, which was fun when you were 12 but at 13 you just had to imbibe the Lambrettas and Vespas!!

I also frequented the Fav much more, but perhaps my fondest memories are for the Roman Room, off Leopold Street - was it Orchard Street? This was really a restaurant, not a caff but they put up with us in the afternoons making one coffee last hours. The waitresses were unfailingly polite and friendly with us, they were only young too I suppose. I will try to remember names of who gathered there, I was a bit of a lone bird, always have been and didn´t count anyone as my particular friend, just drifted between sets of people, so it is hard to recall them after all these years. Dave Milner springs to mind cos all the girls had a crush on him, also Neil "Pud" Goodenough, think they were King Ted boys. Also Littz, very cool guy, I think called Malcolm Littlewood in real life. I did have photos but they were pinched with my bag at the time. There was also a Johnny somebody, nope memory is failing me here.

Guest SuzyC

I also seem to remember a guy who was killed in a scooter accident and there were tons of mods set off from the Lep to follow his funeral on their Vespas or Lambrettas. Made quite a sensation down Glossop Road in those days. Was he called Trevor?