Sheffield Cafe's Of The Past

Sheffield History

1919 White's Cafe Listing

John Arthy Cafe manager 42 Peveril Road

William Bashford Secretary, Tontine Cafe Co. Limited, refreshment rooms 2 Dixon Lane

Arthur Davy & Sons Ltd. Victoria Café Proprietor 40 Fargate

Reuben Freeman Manager St Philip's Cafe 69 & 71 Penistone Road

Gambit Cafe ((Sheffield) Limited) Commercial Street

King's Cafe (Birmingham) Limited, Registered Office 33 Gainsford Road, Darnall

Pickard & Rooke Proprietors, Haymarket Cafe and Hotel Haymarket & King Street

Thomas Robson Manager, Wentworth Cafe Pinstone Street

William Stephenson Exchange restaurant & cafe 20 Castle Street; h. 10 Victoria Road

Tea For Two Cafe (in connection with the YMCA Settlement) Oxford Street, St Philip's

Sidney Waterfall Cafe proprietor 31 Chapel Walk; h. 17 Wiseton Road

Sidney Waterfall Proprietor, Japanese Kiosque Cafe 31 Surrey Street

Charles Joshua Whitehead General Manager, Sheffield Cafe Co. Ltd., cocoa & coffee house house proprietor Johnson Lane

Ye Campo Cafe 24 Campo Lane

I like Ye Campo !!!

Kelly's 1925 Cafe Listing

Gambit Cafe, refreshment rooms Commercial Street

John Arthy Cafe Manager 42 Peveril Road

Mrs Della Berry Cafe Psalter Lane

Kosie Kabin Cafe Sheaf Street

William Stephenson Exchange Restaurant & Cafe 20 Castle Street

Albert Surfleet Cafe manager 56 Roach Road

Guest tsavo

Kelly's 1925 Cafe Listing

Gambit Cafe, refreshment rooms Commercial Street

John Arthy Cafe Manager 42 Peveril Road

Mrs Della Berry Cafe Psalter Lane

Kosie Kabin Cafe Sheaf Street

William Stephenson Exchange Restaurant & Cafe 20 Castle Street

Albert Surfleet Cafe manager 56 Roach Road

Liked this advert for Hudson's Resturant. Nice humorous line I thought!

I would like to mention Rons cafe Asline road lowfield heeley. I wonder if Ron is still around and if anyone remembers him.

Memory says:

Joe's Cafe in the 70's had "wallpaper" made up of a picture from the Lake district ( Tarn Hows?) that went all round the room.

When Joe's migrated to William Street in Broomhall started going to Butlers on Broad Lane.

Can I trust Memory?

Does anyone remember the Strada coffee bar on Ecclesall Road near the Star cinema?

There were alot of good looking teddy boys go in there.

Does anyone remember the Strada coffee bar on Ecclesall Road near the Star cinema?

There were alot of good looking teddy boys go in there.

One for Stevehb

Was there a cafe at the corner of Leadmill Rd and Fornham St

One for Stevehb

Was there a cafe at the corner of Leadmill Rd and Fornham St

Yes there was Stuart0742,

It had one or two? pinball tables in it, mid 60's as I remember it.

You can just make it out on this picturesheffield photo

Far L/H side dark door with a light colored sign above it.

Note the 'Truro PH' the Rodley PH, + some of the HN Bollards,

and not to forget my 'Aunt Edna' crossing Matilda Street.

Yes there was Stuart0742,

It had one or two? pinball tables in it, mid 60's as I remember it.

You can just make it out on this picturesheffield photo

Far L/H side dark door with a light colored sign above it.

Note the 'Truro PH' the Rodley PH, + some of the HN Bollards,

and not to forget my 'Aunt Edna' crossing Matilda Street.

There was also a sweet shop and and a sandwich shop in the same block, sandwich shop was Nell Gow's what about the sweet shop?

There was also a sweet shop and and a sandwich shop in the same block, sandwich shop was Nell Gow's what about the sweet shop?

A bit 'off topic' but sweet shop was Mrs Walker's.

Still in the same area (St Mary's Rd) a corner Cafe stood on the Junction of Edmund Road and St Mary's Road,
picturesheffield
I remember my Aunt Edna taking me in there, and we always had a cup of tea and a toasted T- cake.
And "How come toasted T- cakes never seem to taste as good as they did forty five years ago" sad.gif

Still in the same area (St Mary's Rd) a corner Cafe stood on the Junction of Edmund Road and St Mary's Road,

picturesheffield

I remember my Aunt Edna taking me in there, and we always had a cup of tea and a toasted T- cake.

And "How come toasted T- cakes never seem to taste as good as they did forty five years ago" :(

Try picking up some teacakes from Lilly's. Toasted, with a good dollop of Lurpak butter, and you come close to the old taste!

Guest Jakers

Before they had the Balcony Bar the Granelli's used to own the cafe at the entrance to the old open market. My mother used to work there.

Guest Reddles

The Sarsperilla Bar (does that count as a cafe?)on Abbeydale Road near the Abbeydale Cinema. I used to be taken in as a treat after the dentists a few doors down

The Leprechaun AKA The Lep at the top of Glossop Road, Broomhill. Owned by Mick Housley 1960's

I'd like to hear from anyone who used to go there. It was one of my Mod haunts and there was always a line of scooters outside in the evenings.

I keep having the odd Google but never find anything.

I would like to mention Rons cafe Asline road lowfield heeley. I wonder if Ron is still around and if anyone remembers him.

Do you mean on the corner of Asline Rd and London Rd early 1970's? I can't remember if he was called Ron or not.

If so it was an off licence called Wine Bins ?? before it became the café.

This was next door to The Glory Hole second hand shop (Asline Rd) where I worked at the time.

We had a bit of an inconvenient fall out with him for a short time.

Daft thing to fall out about but -

Someone went round for teas and he poured out the mugs but one of them was only part full so he asked for a top up.

Ron? obliged by topping up the mug with hot water. It was pointed out that he should have topped it with tea, not just water.

A debate ensued which resulted in a boycott on both sides.

This lasted for a few days until we realised how inconvenient it was for us - and he realised how much money he was losing.

Funny the little things one remembers.

-----------

Also to add to the list is La Favorita AKA The Fav on Calver Street. Another Mod Haunt in the 60's

Can I mention Tuckwoods which was originally on Fargate where M&S are now,it was a rather posh provision merchants(did they call them that in those days?)with the restaurant-restaurant if you please at the far end of the long shop,a rather upmarket place before WW2 where all the show business personalities of the day appearing at the Lyceum and Empire would dine.My late Mum worked there for many years before during and after the war.When the shop closed the restaurant was purchased by Stewart and Stewarts and moved to Surrrey St where it remained for many years.

I've heard of Little Nel's at the side of the old Hippedrome, they were the first in Sheffield to get an

evening food licence. All the Stars from the theatre used to go in there but I'm not sure if it was

just a cafe or if it had a drinks licence.

Can I mention Tuckwoods which was originally on Fargate where M&S are now,it was a rather posh provision merchants(did they call them that in those days?)with the restaurant-restaurant if you please at the far end of the long shop,a rather upmarket place before WW2 where all the show business personalities of the day appearing at the Lyceum and Empire would dine.My late Mum worked there for many years before during and after the war.When the shop closed the restaurant was purchased by Stewart and Stewarts and moved to Surrrey St where it remained for many years.

Tuckwoods, Fargate picturesheffield

I've heard of Little Nel's at the side of the old Hippedrome, they were the first in Sheffield to get an

evening food licence. All the Stars from the theatre used to go in there but I'm not sure if it was

just a cafe or if it had a drinks licence.

Nells Bar, Cambridge Street picturesheffield

Anyone remember the name of the caffe upstairs from a "chip shop maybe??" on Howard Street?

Left hand side going up about half way.

I think it was a womans name, much like Violet May's of record shop fame.

It was there in the 60's

What was the cafe called at the bottom of Broadfield Road? It was on the corner at Heeley bottom. They used to do lovely meat pies and I used to go there with my mum on a Saturday for my dinner.

Anyone remember the name of the caffe upstairs from a "chip shop maybe??" on Howard Street?

Left hand side going up about half way.

I think it was a womans name, much like Violet May's of record shop fame.

It was there in the 60's

Would that be Mary Gentle's Cafe, vox?

It has a mention in the 'Fish & Chip Shops' Topic

smile.gif

What was the cafe called at the bottom of Broadfield Road? It was on the corner at Heeley bottom. They used to do lovely meat pies and I used to go there with my mum on a Saturday for my dinner.

Hello Ellesse,

I can't recall that Cafe what era are you referring to, the early 70's perhaps?

Is this where you mean, Ellesse.