Conduit Road ?

RichardB

Any one any idea what year the houses at the top (left) of Glebe Road were built?They look Victorian but aren't on the 1905 map.

If there are residents in 1905, then they were built before that ! The data for a 1905 directory probably represents the situation in 1904, maybe earlier.

The 1903 map probably represents the situation in 1900-02, since they are always surveyed before they are published - it would indeed be rather difficult any other way.

So, best guess 1901-1904 for the houses ... perfectly willing to be proved wrong, just the ramblings of a man with an aching ankle ...

Any one any idea what year the houses at the top (left) of Glebe Road were built?They look Victorian but aren't on the 1905 map.

In July 1900 Mr A Puston wrote a letter to the Independent advocating the purchase of land by the council to provide allotment gardens. He lived at number 87 at the very top, left hand side. At the 1901 census 87 was uninhabited, but Abraham Sellers, cutlery manufacturer lived at 89. Nos. 87 and 89 are all that's listed for 1901.

What was Crookesmoor House? It is shown a the bottom of Conduit Road on the map.

I remember playing in the grounds early 60s but there were no buildings.

You could see that it was quite grand at some stage by the overgrown gardens and demolition rubble.

I imagined it was something special. The entrances were blocked and we used to scale the wall from Conduit. Spend all day in there getting up to all kinds of mischief. Sometimes we would take tennis equipment and play on the courts at the top of Northumberland only very occasionally moved on by the parkie.

Think the tennis courts are now a car park -- shame

I just found this.

I thought I remembered looking into it before.

Strange looking at that thread from 4 years ago this was written

hilldweller

Sheffield History Pro

• photo-thumb-6657.jpg?_r=1399369082
  • Sheffield History Member
  • bullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.png
  • 1,501 posts
  • Interests:Local History.

Exploring the countryside in my chariot (at 4 mph) Exploring the countryside in my other chariot (at 30 to 70 mph)

All things technical.

D.I.Y.

Dressing in the "Compo Simmonite" designer range of clothes.

Posted 02 August 2010 - 12:17 PM

'vox', on 30 Jul 2010 - 11:43 AM, said:snapback.png

I think this would be the site of Crookesmoor House - on the right, now, as you say, Uni buildings.

(Department of Landscape I think)

post-3521-073130500%201280486507.jpg

Google Streetview

I used to live just up the road from Crookesmoor House from Sept. 1973 onwards and remember it being demolished. They had to take the wall down on the corner of Conduit Road and Crookesmoor Road to rebuild it and when they removed the soil behind it they discovered a long buried set of steps on the corner which they re-furbished and put the doorway in to allow them to be used again.

HD

BUT

It was already demolished when I used to go into the grounds 7/8 years earlier so perhaps the poster meant the groundworks being done.

Strange looking at that thread from 4 years ago this was written

hilldweller

Sheffield History Pro

• photo-thumb-6657.jpg?_r=1399369082
  • Sheffield History Member
  • bullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.png
  • 1,501 posts
  • Interests:Local History.

Exploring the countryside in my chariot (at 4 mph) Exploring the countryside in my other chariot (at 30 to 70 mph)

All things technical.

D.I.Y.

Dressing in the "Compo Simmonite" designer range of clothes.

Posted 02 August 2010 - 12:17 PM

'vox', on 30 Jul 2010 - 11:43 AM, said:snapback.png

I used to live just up the road from Crookesmoor House from Sept. 1973 onwards and remember it being demolished. They had to take the wall down on the corner of Conduit Road and Crookesmoor Road to rebuild it and when they removed the soil behind it they discovered a long buried set of steps on the corner which they re-furbished and put the doorway in to allow them to be used again.

HD

BUT

It was already demolished when I used to go into the grounds 7/8 years earlier so perhaps the poster meant the groundworks being done.

It's a long time ago now but I'm sure that I remember large quantities of stone rubble being carted off the site. Perhaps most of the buildings were knocked down earlier and they were just removing the foundations in the early 70's.

I happened to be passing when they took down part of the wall at the bottom of Conduit Road. I watched them as they cleared away the earth to reveal the old steps which appeared in good condition under all the earth.

I notice now that they have put a locked door in the wall. The steps can be seen on the 1890 1:500 town plans on old-maps.co.uk

HD

It's a long time ago now but I'm sure that I remember large quantities of stone rubble being carted off the site. Perhaps most of the buildings were knocked down earlier and they were just removing the foundations in the early 70's.

I happened to be passing when they took down part of the wall at the bottom of Conduit Road. I watched them as they cleared away the earth to reveal the old steps which appeared in good condition under all the earth.

I notice now that they have put a locked door in the wall. The steps can be seen on the 1890 1:500 town plans on old-maps.co.uk

HD

Next time I am in Sheffield I will pop round for a look. Probably won't know where I am it has changed so much. Thanks HD for the info.