Shepherd Wheel Needs You!

Bayleaf

Shepherd Wheel needs volunteers to talk to visitors about the history of the place etc.

The Wheel is open every Saturday and Sunday, and Bank Holiday Mondays. Winter opening is 11am to 3pm, Summer opening is 10am to 4pm. Volunteers normally do 2-hour sessions. There is an engineer on site at all times to supervise the machinery and field questions. Maggie Marsh who organizes the volunteers sends out a request at regular intervals, and you can offer as few or as many sessions as you wish. Training is given, and you can double up with an experienced volunteer to get you going. I can vouch from experience that it is very rewarding, and I'll guarantee you'll learn something new every time.

If you might be interested, have a look under Shepherd Wheel on the Friends of the Porter Valley website for more information and details of how to volunteer.

Would love to do this Bayleaf, however, I think I left Sheffield when the wheel was still working.

I watched the video on the Porter Valley website and I can assure you the Shepherd Wheel is at the top of my list of things to see when I get back.

I fly back in 2 weeks time and the excitement is starting to build up.

Maybe I'll see you there? Wear a short sleeved T and I'll look for the tat on your shoulder :)

Would love to do this Bayleaf, however, I think I left Sheffield when the wheel was still working.

I watched the video on the Porter Valley website and I can assure you the Shepherd Wheel is at the top of my list of things to see when I get back.

I fly back in 2 weeks time and the excitement is starting to build up.

Maybe I'll see you there? Wear a short sleeved T and I'll look for the tat on your shoulder :)

At the risk of disillusioning a certain lady member of the forum, I have to reveal the avatar isn't really me. (I did use my own photo for a while but was asked to remove it as it was frightening the horses, not to say the children and those of a nervous disposition.) However, as an aid to recognition I'll have a transfer made just for my times at the Wheel. ;-)

As a volunteer myself at the wheel I can fully recommend the experience, 2 hours a couple of times a month flies past and you get to meet some really interesting people.

As Bayleaf says, most weeks the visitors will teach us something, only the other week I learned that the swarf from Sheffield grinding industry was separated and used to make swarfega (Hand Cleaner) and the iron filings to make sparklers.

I have never volunteered for anything before but this is both an interesting and rewarding way to give something back to the community