Steelworks During Ww2

Guest Emma Carter

Guest Emma Carter

I been looking at my parents marriage certificate and notice that my mother was a riveter during the war then a few weeks ago I was watching Flog it and Paul Martin was talking to two women and they was talking about there time working in the steelworks during the war and what happened was that if you was single or married and no children then you had to go to the labour exchange and given two choices you could work in the steelworks or being a land girl most took working in steel works and it was hard work but if you asked about what you was making they just keep your nose out and most women did not ever talk about it is there anything on women working in the steel works

Guest Barbara M

My Mother told me that during WW2 , she was working as a fruit shop assistant , she was told by the Ministry of Works that she had to enter more productive war work ( she was single at the time ) and was given a choice of the Forces .the Steelworks or get married , her two brothers , who were in the forces, one in the Army & one in the Navy, told her " our lass is not going in't forces ! "

her boyfriend, my Dad , who worked in the steelworks told her " we had better get married , as you are not going in't works ",

I have no reason not to believe this as for ever more they teased each other about there " shotgun wedding " !!!

On her marriage certificate it says " Fruit shop Assistant "

I wrote a book..."Sheffield: Armourer to the British Empire"...In it there is a description of some of the jobs women undertook at Park Gate Iron and Steel...I believe there are copies available in what is left of our Public Libraries!

I wrote a book..."Sheffield: Armourer to the British Empire"...In it there is a description of some of the jobs women undertook at Park Gate Iron and Steel...I believe there are copies available in what is left of our Public Libraries!

I've read that - recommended!