Gravy Salt

tozzin

I heard a chap talking on Radio Sheffield about Comptons Gravy Salt, I thought it had gone the same way as Burdalls Gravy Salt but no, it's still being sold in and around Manchester and beyond.

"The history of the Comptons Gravy Salt brand goes back many years and was originally manufactured by the Sheffield based Carters of Attercliffe Road in the early 1920’s before being taken over by Bonds of London & Penguin Confectionary and subsequently moved to Carlisle, Cumbria in 1994.
These highly collectable football cards were released in 1924 and were printed over several series. The three West Ham United cards if you can find them were issued in “Series A, B & D”. One card was given free inside special tins and packets and in turn the cards could be saved up and exchanged for a gift. Umpteen Sunday dinners and Thirty cards later would get you a Pocket Knife, Tennis Ball or even a Hair comb in a case. At auction the cards can now command a hefty £45 each, how much for a comb or tennis ball?
In 2004 Teasdales Confectionary bought the Comptons brand, the condiments and seasonings company that has been on the lips of great Sunday dinner chef’s for over 80 years relocated in Carlisle. Unsurprisingly, the chief use of Comptons gravy salt is for making wonderful, rich-tasting gravy."

Source (or should that be sauce lol)

CARTER & SONS, ( Manufacturing Chemists)
Attercliffe Road, in 1925.
Sheffield & Rotherham Kelly's Directory.

(Sheffield Indexers)

Would this chemists (Carters) be the same one that made "Carters little liver pills"?

Not sure Dave, but "Carter's" was an American company.

=================================================

Carter & Sons, Sheffield 1925

Carter Geoffrey C. manufacturing chemist (Carter & Sons); house, 23 Durham Rroad.

Carter Thomas, manufacturing chemist (Carter & Sons) ; h. Cliffe house, Elm Lane.

Carter & Sons, Attercliffe 1990 photo

Would this chemists (Carters) be the same one that made "Carters little liver pills"?

The very same.

Comptons Gravy Salt and Gravy Browning on a paper bag

i-KfqrPFr-X3.jpg

And on the other side of the bag, Carter's Three Noughts Cough Syrup

i-wZS9Cnf-X3.jpg

• Like 1