443 Shoreham Street

tozzin

Saw this today on a house at 443 Shoreham St, I've no idea what's it about " EPN LEA PLACE D" any ideas anyone?

MESSRS- WILLIAM BUSH AND SONS. Five houses, called Fern Lea Place. Nos. 441 to 449 Shoreham St.. were sold Messrs. Wm. Bush and Sons this afternoon for £1.150. The property produces £33 annually - 3rd December 1901 - Sheffield Evening Telegraph.

MESSRS- WILLIAM BUSH AND SONS. Five houses, called Fern Lea Place. Nos. 441 to 449 Shoreham St.. were sold Messrs. Wm. Bush and Sons this afternoon for £1.150. The property produces £33 annually - 3rd December 1901 - Sheffield Evening Telegraph.

I had an idea a letter was missing, five houses for £1,150, you couldn't get good double glazing for that today. Could I use this info in my column on Saturday? With a mention of this Forum and yourself.

I had an idea a letter was missing, five houses for £1,150, you couldn't get good double glazing for that today. Could I use this info in my column on Saturday? With a mention of this Forum and yourself.

You'e welcome, Tozzin.

The Victorians had a penchant for naming villas and blocks of terraces, and one of their favourites was Fern Lea. There were many in Sheffield, as elsewhere. The first mention in the papers was one at Burngreave (Alfred Sharman who lived there had a son in 1878), other examples were at 52 Wostenholm Road, Bocking Lane and Cowlishaw Road. In 1905 Samuel Cramer-Suckley, Professor of Music and Bandmaster of the Yorkshire Hussars lived at the latter (just had to mention the professor).