Sheffield City Police - 1944

Guest PD Allonby

Guest PD Allonby

Hello, and greetings from a new member!

I am interested in the organisation, command structure and police stations of Sheffield City Police in 1944. Can anyone help, please?

Many thanks,

Paul Allonby

Have you tried this https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/libraries/archives-and-local-studies/collections/police-force-records.html

My father joined Sheffield City Police 1945/6 ish he was based at 'C' Division, Whitworth Lane, Attercliffe.

I am not 100% but I think HQ was at Castle Green, at the rear was Water Lane, Charge Office & cells, 'A' Division, CID and CRO.

'B' Division was at West Bar (the Police & Fire Station Museum now),

'D' Division, Woodseats (The Police Station is still in use)

'E' Division, Hammerton Road, Hillsborough.

It would be interesting to hear what you find out and what has prompted your search.

One of my Dad's friends a aptly named Sergeant Crooks was at Attercliffe around this time. W/E.

Guest PD Allonby

Many thanks to those who replied to my original query - much appreciated. I am also trying to establish who was the Chief Constable in 1944, and who were his senior officers. Sheffield Archives are trying to help, and I have also contacted the emergency services museum at West Bar, but information seems to be limited. Thanks.

May 24 1940, Brigadier General Edward Riddell, president of the northern area of the British Legion, was urging individual members to offer themselves for the LDV: “Officialdom has not thought it fit to enlist the services of the British Legion as the machinery through which the personnel of the anti-parachute force should be recruited.” Instead, police were the gate-keepers. Men queued at police stations and posts to register. The first LDV boundaries were police ones. In Sheffield, for example, four LDV company commanders covered the four police divisions. At all ranks of the police, there was military experience. For example, the Sheffield chief constable was Major FS James ; and the staff officer of the West Riding LDV command was Captain William Huddlestone, who retired in 1939 as West Riding Police detective chief superintendent.

Source

Guest manxbiker

Hello a few years later but I have a Chief Constables report from 1948 which is very imformative if I can help

Many thanks to those who replied to my original query - much appreciated. I am also trying to establish who was the Chief Constable in 1944, and who were his senior officers. Sheffield Archives are trying to help, and I have also contacted the emergency services museum at West Bar, but information seems to be limited. Thanks.

From Encyclopaedia of Plymouth History:

On November 30th 1941 the Chief Constable, Mr George Sydney Lowe, resigned to take up a post as Chief Constable at Sheffield, Yorkshire. He was replaced by Chief Superintendent William Thomas Hutchings upon promotion.

Then at the end of 1946, still Chief Constable in Sheffield: