Tenter Street Tram Depot

Calvin72

There seems to be very little about this depot on here, and i have read less about it than other Sheffield depots generally - not sure why that is but can people fill in the gaps? Was it where the office blocks or car showroom are now? Any photos or information?

Thanks All :-)

To begin at the beginning:

Official opening of Tenter Street tram depot and the new Townhead Street Bus Garage

It occupied the whole of a site bounded by Tenter Street, Hawley Street and Lee Croft. The tram entrance was at the junction of Tenter Street and Silver Street Head.

Although the official opening was in September 1929, Kenneth Gandy (in Sheffield Corporation Tramways - ISBN 0 86321 032 5) has the first date of use as 23rd October 1928.

It remained in use as a tram depot until the last day of service in October 1960. The bus garage survived as such until 1968.

The site can be seen on Map 3

• Like 1

Your link is pretty comprehensive madannie! - not sure why i couldn't find it when i searched :ph34r:

Thanks very much!

Am i right in thinking there was the Transport Dept shooting range in this depot at one time?

Nigel L