Coal Lorry At Birley East Colliery.

ken wain

Whilst researching for my book "The Coal industry of Sheffield and North East Derbyshire" I was given a photograph of one of T.W Ward's Coal lorries which was used for coal deliveries whilst on contract to the Birley Collieries.

On the front of the lorry was erected a large mock up of a Colliery headgear, and on the back of the lorry was a rather large mock up of a coal scuttle on the side of which was written "Direct from the pit to the coal box". A great advert for Birley coal, but underneath the photograph there is a caption which reads:- "Our Contribution to Sheffield week". I know from the vehicles registration number that it was registered in 1938 and the vehicle looks relatively new. I have tried in vain to find out WHEN and WHAT Sheffield week was.

Can anyone help please? I have tried Sheffield Records at the central library but they cannot find it!

KEN.

Just like to say a big thank you to everyone who went out of their way to provide me with an answer to my question.

It just goes to show what a wealth of information there is on the Sheffield History Site and how helpful the members really are.

Not like the Sheffield City Libraries who had a quick look and said that they could find no reference to it. :)

Many thanks.

KEN.