Calling All Local Historians

duckweed

Are you a Local Historian living in Sheffield? Do your relatives and friends back away when you try to tell them about some new document you have found? Are you left sometimes wondering whether its something wrong with you or maybe there are others with the same problem.

Do you go to a strange Archive and wish you'd known about it beforehand when the Archivist fixes you with a fierce stare because you have omitted some vital piece of procedure? If someone doesn't answer your enquiry is it because you have somehow offended or because that person has a tendency to travel a lot and they will get back to you? Would you like to share your triumphs frustrations and puzzles with like-minded individuals for a coffee and a natter?

PM me and if I get enough interest we will set up a regular meetup. My idea initially is just a light social meet up but obviously its up to who comes along as to where when and how we do things.

Just I meet a lot of great amateur historians who find even within local history groups they are left with no one talk to. So what if you have been seeking a Saxon horse shoe mentioned in a document for 10 years? You will get a sympathetic ear and even possibly someone who knows another avenue to explore.

Interested!

I have what seems had like a life time of brick walls. I usually get to climb over them but wonder how much easier it would be without them?

Likewise I wonder if there are others who could do with help and advice publishing work, I currently put stuff out for free

Sources of funding for project?. Just been eploring, there are some but often with catches for amateurs

I wonder if many people have been refused access to artefacts (our heritage which has often been donated by ordinary people for us to see) in storage at our Museum.

History is too important just to leave to the Professionals and its obvious there are talented amateurs about who are working alone.

I am struck by the fact that amatuers tend to be much more generous to each other compared to profesionals, we should capitilise on this.

I have just purchased a projector and intend to get out to the many local history groups.

Re. Local History Groups. I think perhaps they could be what we make them?

The internet has made historical research a commercial product, which saddens me somewhat, although the amount of information online is fantastic and couldn't be done without the commercial side to pay for it!!

win/no win!

I have spent thousands on books and suchlike and will happily share any info I have for free and actually enjoy doing so, so I may be interested in a get together around a table and to yack about local history on an informal basis, never been a huge fan of one person standing up and giving a talk.

Thank You for your positive response. I have heard of people saying they have found it hard to access records, look at objects etc re certain museums and archives. Not found that myself but have found that different archives are run in different ways and some Archivists are extremely stiff and wary of amateurs. Some will bend over backwards to help. Others you end up feeling like a grubby child in a posh shop.

I am no good at giving talks. My nerves get the better of me and I am not great fan of going to talks as a regular thing. Some people are brilliant but others are much better when you talk to them on a more informal basis. There are people who are really doing some fascinating research and I could listen to all day but put them in front of an audience sitting in rows and they could bore for Britain.

My vision would be of a Victorian club type thing. A nice cosy cafe or pub. An agreement to meet at a certain time and a certain date when the cafe or pub is relatively quiet during the day. But others may have other ideas which is not a problem as long as I don't have to be on a committee or we start using a building without disabled access and also the venue must be fairly central.

Good we have 4 definites. Have to wait for response from another ad I placed and then we can work out the essentials.

Didn't SH members meet up 'back in the day'? I would like to meet like-minded people from here (let alone from further afield!).

Not wishing to hijack this topic, but if anyone is interested, Shepherd Wheel need volunteers to talk to visitors etc during opening hours. Most people do a 2 hour stint roughly once a month, It's very rewarding, and I can guarantee from experience you'll learn something new every time, not just from the engineer on duty, but the memories of visitors. If you might be interested have a look under Shepherd Wheel on the Friends of the Porter Valley website