My Visit To Sheffield

Guest cindy

Guest cindy

Just before Christmas I achieved a wish my Dad asked me to do before he died and that was to visit the places where he was born. It was just a coincidence I had to go to Sheffield for my son to have an interview for Uni so took this opportunity to look around.

Firstly I was very impressed with the scene that greets you from the rail station very impressive the water features look great even on a wet rainy day. I come from a new town of Milton Keynes, on comparing these two stations Sheffield was 100% better. the other thing that was overwhelming was how friendly and helpful the people of Sheffield are.

We took a tram ride to the Cathedral which was closed that day due to works being carried out which was disappointing until the Rev. offered to take me in the side for a private viewing of what was going on inside the beautiful building, and show my son and I the crypt. I was over whelmed at his kindness.

I then walked down Campo Lane where my father and Grandparents Herbert & Hannah Gripton had the Rubens Head Hotel(Beerhouse)at no.s 45-47. Rose there daughter ran a Grocery shop and shirt making at no 63 Campo Lane. Then in 1918 she married to Stanley Green they ran a Coal Merchants from no. 47 and 44 Townhead street together with a lodging house.

We later that evening took a walk about the main City Centre, where we saw the Crucible, Town Hall the winter garden and much more. The view from the 9th floor of our hotel were terrific we could see the football stadium my Dad was Sheffield Wednesday fan

Our over all view of Sheffield is its very friendly well designed with lovely water features and lighting.

the mix of old and new are well integrated. Looking at our Town(City) it could learn a lot from Sheffield. I cannot wait to visit again.

Well done Sheffield and thank you for making my visit and fulfilling my Dads wish such a pleasure and a wonderful memory.

I'm glad you had such a pleasant visit Cindy. Sheffield has a reputation locally for forever being changed, rebuilt etc. Locals often say "Sheffield? It'll be lovely when it's finished!" Unfortunately we have a bad habit of only seeing the problems, so it's good when someone like you sees it with fresh eyes and reminds us just how nice a place it is. Come back and see us soon. At least the cathedral will be finished! I hope your son is successful at the Uni, but be warned, Sheffield has a reputation for its graduates staying here!

Excellent stuff. Unfortunately the football ground you could see wasn't Sheffield Wednesday, its the other bunch ...

I don't know whether you've discovered Picture Sheffield? If not you might like to have a look at these. Link1 Link2

There are lots more of Campo Lane, try a search for Townhead Street while you're there!

Guest cindy

Thank you Bayleaf the first link is the Rubens Head Hotel which my g. Granddad owned Mr Herbert Gripton

the only thing that puzzles me I keep finding different house numbers for this on my nans birth cert it says 43-45, in Kellys Directory

it gives the number as 37-39, then on the 1911 census its 45-47 which is the right one ? I know they were well off but it hasn't filtered down my way unfortunately lol. :)

The street numbering in Sheffield will always cause problems Cindy. Many of our streets have been re-named and/or re-numbered on more than one occasion.

Here is Herbert Gripton at The Rubens Head in 1894 and 1905

It looks as though, by the time he was there, the address was probably 45-47 Campo Lane.