Jeff V

Just to say hi as a new member, I have visited the site many times and must say how much I have enjoyed ambling through.

Welcome to the site JeffV,

I think Jeff used the term "newbie" as the title of his introductory topic to make it a bit different Tozzin, rather than as a deliberate Americanism.

At school in Sheffield (Norfolk and Ashleigh) any "Newbie" (a new student arriving mid year / mid term and invariably male) would be called "Nuke", - meaning "New Kid", however, unless another new kid turned up in the same form they could be called "Nuke" for the rest of their school career, - even if they started mid way into the first year (hence qualifying for the title) and staying on to do O-levels / CSEs in the fifth year!

Good point about the use of 'NEWBIE' it is something I have clearly picked up from t'internet, however you can see I refer to myself as a new member in the text.

I think that my Mum, who chose my name must have had an interest in America as my name is not the traditional Geoffrey, so I may be showing a slight leaning. :rolleyes:

As a proud Yorkshire man I will give myself a good talking to, and correct this tendency to Americanisms. :)

Good point about the use of 'NEWBIE' it is something I have clearly picked up from t'internet, however you can see I refer to myself as a new member in the text.

I think that my Mum, who chose my name must have had an interest in America as my name is not the traditional Geoffrey, so I may be showing a slight leaning. :rolleyes:

As a proud Yorkshire man I will give myself a good talking to, and correct this tendency to Americanisms. :)

Just don't let it happen again or it will be sackcloth and ashes!