Fitzalan Market Hall

Sheffield History

Does anyone have any photo's or info on Fitazlan Market Hall ?

The more the better ideally

I have this picture of somekind of Market in Sheffield. It's taken from a latern slide. I don't know if it is that one or not.

The photo looks like the Castlefolds Market where goods were distributed to the stalls in the Market Hall and the Rag N Tag, it was at the back of the Norfolk Market Hall, just opposite the Rag N Tag entrance at the bottom of Dixon lane

This is the Fitzalan Market Hall, it stood where Primark is now on the Market Place (just a clue in the name there) the street that runs the other side is obviously King Street.

I have this picture of somekind of Market in Sheffield. It's taken from a latern slide. I don't know if it is that one or not.

attachicon.gifMarket001.jpg

It's good photo dude, but are you sure the image is the right way round?

It's good photo dude, but are you sure the image is the right way round?

Looks right to me.

If you mirror the image, the horse and cart would appear to be on the wrong side of the road.

Yes it is the right way round.

Looks right to me.

If you mirror the image, the horse and cart would appear to be on the wrong side of the road.

The writing looks to be the wrong way round to me, and isn't that the Corn Exchange in the background?

The picture was a photo of a photo. It's quite possible that the original print was taken from the lantern slide and not reversed. But it was nothing to do with me. Having looked at the picture and seen the location from the map I think that it would make sense in the slope was going in the other direction. Particularly if the numbers on the map 188, 171, 164 are anything to do with height and that is the front of the sheds.

Plus the bowler hat chap's feet (near the cart wheel) make more sense the other way around.

The picture was a photo of a photo. It's quite possible that the original print was taken from the lantern slide and not reversed. But it was nothing to do with me. Having looked at the picture and seen the location from the map I think that it would make sense in the slope was going in the other direction. Particularly if the numbers on the map 188, 171, 164 are anything to do with height and that is the front of the sheds.

Plus the bowler hat chap's feet (near the cart wheel) make more sense the other way around.

I would say that the cobbled street is Castle Folds, and the photo was taken from somewhere near the rear entrance into the Norfolk Market Hall.

This is the Fitzalan Market Hall, it stood where Primark is now on the Market Place (just a clue in the name there) the street that runs the other side is obviously King Street.

Hi tozzin

Are you sure about this photo, if as you say its where the Primark building is , then the street behind is King street. This was old market buildings but if you look at the map that SteveHB has put on the Norfolk Market hall is down on the road behind this photo..

Just a thought.

Hi tozzin

Are you sure about this photo, if as you say its where the Primark building is , then the street behind is King street. This was old market buildings but if you look at the map that SteveHB has put on the Norfolk Market hall is down on the road behind this photo..

Just a thought.

I think tozzin was just making a point as where the Fitzalan Market once stood.

c.1903

Courtesy of kevstones

SheffieldFishMarket.jpg

Hi tozzin

Just a thought.

If you look at the photo I posted, in the top left hand quadrant you can make out the top of the old Town Hall and of course the Norfolk Market Hall was just up from there on the opposite side, just where Wilkos now sits.

I think tozzin was just making a point as where the Fitzalan Market once stood.

attachicon.giffitz_.jpg

c.1903

Courtesy of kevstones

SheffieldFishMarket.jpg

Right, I missunderstood, great pictures