Irish Pubs?

togger

Evening All,

My family moved from Ireland to Sheffield in about 1861 living in the 'Park District' more specifically just off Duke Street. I was wondering if there were any pubs around that time that would have been called !Irish Pubs! or that were frequented by Irish?

Unless they were called "Paddy McGinty's Goat" it's going to be difficult to tell; wherever there was a concentration of one ethnic group you can be sure that the local boozers were there in quantity to support their thirst. Where were the Irish population concentrated in Sheffield of 1861 ? is a good question.

Westbar is my guess.

My g....g Grandfather was born in Co. Monaghan and he, together with his twin brother, retired from the Army ( The Queen's Bays) whilst serving in Sheffield Barracks. My g....g Uncle became landlord of The Meadow...both lived for a time in the Crofts.

My g....g Grandfather was born in Co. Monaghan and he, together with his twin brother, retired from the Army ( The Queen's Bays) whilst serving in Sheffield Barracks. My g....g Uncle became landlord of The Meadow...both lived for a time in the Crofts.

Meadow Street Hotel ?

SH Link

That's interesting about your Monaghan connection lysander, my wife and all my Irish in laws come from a small village in Monaghan called Glaslough, it's where Paul McCartney got wed, just where did yours,g, grandfather actually come from? Was it Monaghan town or one of the many villages. My Grandparents and their relatives all come from Dublin, my father use to like a drink in the Bell in the square as loads of Irish went in there as they did in the Elephant. (I quoted the wrong post)

My Mc Govern ancestors originated in Donagh. My memory was playing tricks when I mentioned the Meadow. On checking, it would seem William Mc Govern was living in 1861 with his in-laws, and his wife...the Needham's ( from Eckington) at 24 Nursery Street. William Needham is stated to be a Beer House Keeper and Carter. Family tradition has it that William also kept the pub ( sorry I am unsure of the name).

My Mc Govern ancestors originated in Donagh. My memory was playing tricks when I mentioned the Meadow. On checking, it would seem William Mc Govern was living in 1861 with his in-laws, and his wife...the Needham's ( from Eckington) at 24 Nursery Street. William Needham is stated to be a Beer House Keeper and Carter. Family tradition has it that William also kept the pub ( sorry I am unsure of the name).

The William Needham in this cutting had the Dusty Miller, Nursery street and then the Bay Horse, Willey street. Possible ancestors, lysander?

Whooops, I think so! Might also suggest a reason for William, a few years later, becoming a Chelsea Pensioner.Perhaps a destitute(?) Mother-in Law moved in with him and his wife... her daughter... and he moved on! :unsure:

Donagh is a small parish which holds collection of Villages, Emyvale & Glaslough with lots of houses,cottages and farms all around.