Does anyone know ......

mickjj

Yet another 'Pair of 'Bollards' I found hanging about in the City center.

This pair do bare the 'HN' mark, but with what appears to be crossed by a 'C'

So where can they be seen ?,

second and more difficult question is, what's that 'C' about then?

Are are they mutating .. :unsure:

Yet another 'Pair of 'Bollards' I found hanging about in the City center.

This pair do bare the 'HN' mark, but with what appears to be crossed by a 'C'

So where can they be seen ?,

second and more difficult question is, what's that 'C' about then?

Are are they mutating .. :unsure:

From the expression on her face the woman's about to tell the man there's a bloke taking her picture. So then Steve has to explain that he's really really interested in bollards, and that's what he's photographing....

Judging by the expression on her face - do you think he's woken up yet??

As for the C, it could be a centenary casting to commemorate the provision of the originals and to replace some that might have been 'lost'.

From the expression on her face the woman's about to tell the man there's a bloke taking her picture. So then Steve has to explain that he's really really interested in bollards, and that's what he's photographing....

I happen to have had a few scrapes with others Bayleaf, due to taking photographs.

One happened to be with the Police !

Looked like ending up in the 'High Court' :(

Judging by the expression on her face - do you think he's woken up yet??

As for the C, it could be a centenary casting to commemorate the provision of the originals and to replace some that might have been 'lost'.

mike142sl,

Looks like a good explanation for the 'C' to me.

Anyone got an answer for question one then?

A fine pair of cast bollards,

where are these,

Took me some time to find the answer to that one neddy,

looks like Waterloo Walk in Neepsend?

There's a family of them outside the Cathedral' I think we're been invaded. :unsure:

Does anybody remember the family of Bollards on Leadmill Rd now gone (I know you will Steve)

There was a mixture of these iron ones and more modern concrete ones all the way around a concrete area where you could play football. Looking at the old maps now it is obvious this area was part of the old Lead Mill Dam

Steve have you any photos of these

Does anybody remember the family of Bollards on Leadmill Rd now gone (I know you will Steve)

There was a mixture of these iron ones and more modern concrete ones all the way around a concrete area where you could play football. Looking at the old maps now it is obvious this area was part of the old Lead Mill Dam

Stuart,

I don't have a single one :(

There is one on picturesheffield,

see my post number 26 in this topic

Stuart,

it looks like picturesheffield has updated it's database of the Leadmill Road area,

the photo here shows quite clearly the original iron & more modern concrete bollards.

Also Leadmill Mission Hall can be seen in background.

Guest transit

Stuart,
it looks like picturesheffield has updated it's database of the Leadmill Road area,
the photo here shows quite clearly the original iron & more modern concrete bollards.
Also Leadmill Mission Hall can be seen in background.

Also this pic , showing the Rodley in the background . Iremember the "bollard" area being the "bus park"during 70' & 80's.......
http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s17597&pos=1&action=zoom&id=20214

Guest transit

Also this pic , showing the Rodley in the background . Iremember the "bollard" area being the "bus park"during 70' & 80's.......

....Leadmill bus park - with the bollards - taken on a Sunday late 70's...............

Another view from Picture Sheffield

This is described as the 1960's

Steve
Is this taken just below the Truro?

If it is should there be an old garage there with a sort of raised grass verge and advertisement hoardings, usually advertising Studio 7 and forthcoming football matches at Bramhall ln etc.

Then there was the houses you lived in.

Guest bus man

....Leadmill bus park - with the bollards - taken on a Sunday late 70's...............

Surprised no one as pointed out that the first shot of the neepsend : the body on this was made in sheffield in what is now jewal razor blade place on penistone road neepsend was a subsidury of East Lancs which made buses at the neepsend site for around 5 years in the late 1960 I can remember looking to see what was there on my way to Grandmas at Burrowlee Road.

Note the shot of the bus in STD livery with the fleetnames , fleet numbers and coat of arms painted out this was standard practice as STD and PTE were paranoid that someone would buy a old STD bus and run it against them they even had stencils made to fit the numbers etc so they could be put over and just painted

Came across this cheeky little chap across the road from the entrance to Concord Park - complete with City crest - how on earth has that survived! Do these appear anywhere else in the city?

Came across this cheeky little chap across the road from the entrance to Concord Park - complete with City crest - how on earth has that survived! Do these appear anywhere else in the city?

Now that picture DOES take me back. I remember leap frogging over the ballard everytime we went to the park. A family tradition on summer Sundays Concord park putting green, a ride on the monster rocking horse in the playground then the beer garden behind the Horseshoe for a bottle of "Orangilo" and a bag of crisps.

Now that picture DOES take me back. I remember leap frogging over the ballard everytime we went to the park. A family tradition on summer Sundays Concord park putting green, a ride on the monster rocking horse in the playground then the beer garden behind the Horseshoe for a bottle of "Orangilo" and a bag of crisps.

Glad to have jogged 'em lol

Guest Old Canny Street Kid

Does anyone know the story behind these emblems ?? They are on the bollards and the lampost outside the "Fat Kat"

I feel sure that, back in the mid-1950s, there used to be some exactly like these in Leadmill Road, not far from the junction with St Mary's Road. Od course, in those days, they weren't painted blue.

A friend of mine used to work for a design office situated somewhere off Carlisle Street, I think it was 'Sreetscene' or similar name.

They designed iron street furniture such as copies of old railings, bollards, lamposts etc.

A lot of the designs were based on items pictured in Victorian catalogues.

This company supplied quite a lot of cast iron items for many Sheffield council developments such as the Five Wears Walk etc.

It could well be that the bollards you are talking about were cast ion a iron foundry in Derby and supplied by the office off Carlisle Street.

Sorry I cannot be more specific but it is another piece to the jigsaw, maybe some else who reads this may be able to elaborate. PopT

I feel sure that, back in the mid-1950s, there used to be some exactly like these in Leadmill Road, not far from the junction with St Mary's Road. Od course, in those days, they weren't painted blue.

Yes they were, all way around what we called the "recc", which obviously was part of the covered in Leadmill Dam. By the mid to late late 60's when I lived there they were black and rusty. Some had been replaced with a concrete version.

Sure they have been mentioned before.

A couple of picture Sheffield Links

http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s17598&pos=1&action=zoom&id=20215

http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s17597&pos=1&action=zoom&id=20214

Guest skeets
I still think they were cast to commemorate the death of Horatio Nelson. The coronet indicates the peerage. Haven't a clue where the pink ones are though.
HI tsavo if the DUKE OF NORFOLK'S first Christian name bigins with aitch, it may be a clue .Skeets

The 13th Duke of Norfolk was Henry Howard and the 15th Duke was Henry Fitzalan-Howard from about 1886 to 1937 - don't know if that's of any help.

I came across this.

I presume it means LBH is the manufacturer and Thorncliffe is Thorncliffe, Chapeltown.

Or is Thorncliffe the Manufacturer?

Either way who were they? I can't find anything.

"54 Boundary - Bollards Church Path, N8 TQ305889

at junction with Tottenham Lane

Date 1886

Description 3 bollards of tapered square form as

above. Clean and legible casting at

base. Tops nicely worn.

LBH THORNCLIFFE SHEFFIELD 1886

Setting Good setting, across alley to side of

Hope & Anchor PH.

Source Hornsey Historical Society"

(Edit: There are some others as well, described thus)

"LBH cipher to front of

base, with makers name in roundel with

date to rear.

Inscription LBH and 1883"

I came across this.

I presume it means LBH is the manufacturer and Thorncliffe is Thorncliffe, Chapeltown.

Or is Thorncliffe the Manufacturer?

Either way who were they? I can't find anything.

"54 Boundary - Bollards Church Path, N8 TQ305889

at junction with Tottenham Lane

Date 1886

Description 3 bollards of tapered square form as

above. Clean and legible casting at

base. Tops nicely worn.

LBH THORNCLIFFE SHEFFIELD 1886

Setting Good setting, across alley to side of

Hope & Anchor PH.

Source Hornsey Historical Society"

attachicon.gifThorncliffe.jpg attachicon.gifThorncliffe2.jpg

(Edit: There are some others as well, described thus)

"LBH cipher to front of

base, with makers name in roundel with

date to rear.

Inscription LBH and 1883"

LBH = London Borough of *Haringay. ?

:)

*Wiki