Does anyone know ......

mickjj

You can't blame the "floods" for the loss of the bollards, these photos were taken pre flood (2 June 2007) not a bollard in sight! but don't let this stop you from double checking and sampling a pint at the same time.

The bollareds are actualy down the road a litte ways to the right (facing the main entrance) by the bridge you cross to go to the museum.

Okay another insight, The HN could be a manufactures mark, the crown was and I think still is Sheffield assay office mark (made in sheffield) and the rose is the south yorkshire rose. So to cap it manufactured by? HN? made in sheffield (the crown), south yourkshire (the rose.) Exactly the same bollards can be seen at the back of the townhall. howz zat folks! or have I spoilt your mystery, if I have DON'T READ THIS hee hee.

I must admit I am seeing bollards all over now. lol

There are three near the market entrance at the side that are painted black with the same initials on. Oh by the way they are still there near the Fat Cat see below and the Guinness was perfect as usual.

Sue

Guest mega_monty

Can't say for certain but I would have a guess at these bollards being boundary markers, identifying an area owned by an idividual or organisation and their initials being HN.

Can't say for certain but I would have a guess at these bollards being boundary markers, identifying an area owned by an idividual or organisation and their initials being HN.

Could be anti ram raid devices for a new Harvey Nicols Store??

Okay another insight, The HN could be a manufactures mark, the crown was and I think still is Sheffield assay office mark (made in sheffield) and the rose is the south yorkshire rose. So to cap it manufactured by? HN? made in sheffield (the crown), south yourkshire (the rose.) Exactly the same bollards can be seen at the back of the townhall. howz zat folks! or have I spoilt your mystery, if I have DON'T READ THIS hee hee.

Ingenious, but unlesss they're made of precious metals, why the assay mark? it has no Sheffield significance except in that context. The rose is a symbol of Yorkshire rather than South Yorkshire, and the HN is pretty big for a manufacturer's mark. So ingenious as your solution is, I don't think you've solved the mystery!

I thought I'd put us all out of our misery, and consulted the oracle (or rather First point Council Enquiries!) and here's the reply

Thank you for your email enquiry to First Point this was a fascinating question which I thoroughly enjoyed.

The bollards were donated by Henry Fitzalan- Howard, the 15th Duke of Norfolk and first Lord Mayor of Sheffield.

His statue is in the Town Hall. He was born in 1847 succeeded to the title in 1886 and died in 1917.

The HN on the bollards are the monogram of Henry Norfolk.

These were originally mainly in the Park Hill area but when that area was redeveloped they were saved and either reused

around Park Hill and Norfolk Park or redeployed in the city centre.

So now we know!

Well done, Bayleaf, now why didn't I think to ask the oracle? Now how about asking them where the first Town Hall was.....and for a full colour picture to cap it off? Oh, well, I can dream.....!

First Point actually answering a question :o without at least 5 days cousultation or 'I am sorry I dont know, I will have to consult a manager, I am not in that department' or I am sorry we seem to have lost your first email. he he.

Just my experience, I must ask such complicated questions. he he

Well done Bayleaf

Sue

Well done Bayleaf. I am amazed that it took over six months to come up with the answer but thanks to everyone for making the effort to come up with ideas and once again this is what makes this site so fantastic. :)

I must admit I am seeing bollards all over now. lol

There are three near the market entrance at the side that are painted black with the same initials on. Oh by the way they are still there near the Fat Cat see below and the Guinness was purfect as usual.

Sue

One from near the Castle Market enterance and just to say I walked past those five days a week for over twenty years, on my way too and from work ... and never took much notice :mellow:

And "Well Done Bayleaf" for solving the puzzle, I can now sleep at night lol

Some more here, that most members on the site will have walked past at one time and maybe on a regular basis?

I can see where you've been steve.

but they just did'nt have enough to finish the job ....... typical of the council.

I've noticed there's some more further along Green Lane going towards the Cornish Works ..... must be breeding.

If you do, I have an outstanding, polite request for a photograph from there; you don't even need to move 15 feet away from the front door, matter of fact the item is attached to the outside of the building !

<if it's still there !!!>

Is the sign for cotton mill walk, been lookin at some old maps.

Bollards Update.

I came across this short snippet referring to the iron stoops, in a book by David Robbins.

Quote “On the site recently occupied by the Railway storage sheds at the bottom of South Street and now part of the new motorway link road into Sheffield was the Old Corn Exchange,

earlier being the Hay Market, and was surrounded by the iron stoops which are now to be seen round the recriation space in Leadmill Road”

printed November 1974.

"I have found another pair of Bollards"

of the HN name, that is.

This fine pair stand at one end of Sheaf Gardens Cycle track, on Duchess Road next to the bridge.

Guest plain talker

What is the collective noun for an invasion of bollards ?

A government announcement? (IE a "load of bollards" perhaps?)