Beckford Lane Cottages (Opp Shiregreen Hotel)

Guest ikkleangel1

Guest ikkleangel1

Hi All

I'm trying to find out any pictures or info on Beckford Lane Cottages which were opposite back of Shiregreen Hotel on Sicey Avenue.
I've found them of the maps on here (Map 77). Their for a friend who used to live in one of them. Any help of info or pics would be a great help.

Thank you :)

I understand these formed the hamlet known as Hartley Brook. I can't see anything on Picture Sheffield but there are some photographs of the cottages/lane in one of Bryan Woodriffs books on Shiregreen which will probably be in a Library or bookshops in town. Hope that helps.

I didn't have a clue where I was on the modern map - even more lost now !

Surveyed 1920-21, published 1924

Guest ikkleangel1

Thank you for info Admin team ill have a look for that book. And to RichardB too for maps, I think some of maps are just further over to left than 1950 map, so cottages can still be seen just below and to right of Common End Farm near where it says Hartley Brook. Hope this helps you :)

Fascinating. I grew up in the 1950s on Hartley Brook Avenue and, of course, none of us happy little lads had such things as Ordnance Surveys, so it was nice to learn the real names for places which we, and other Council House newcomers, had given to places of interest....Thanks!

Guest ikkleangel1

Hi Lynsander, yes that's what I love doing to = and doing now and then maps together so can place where things are. Ive just googled Hartley brook cottages instead of Beckford Lane cottages and it brought me to another thread on here called Hartley Brook Cottages. And there are some watercolour pics of what people think could be the cottages and reference to the book mentioned above. Ive sent link to my friend so he can have a look and confirm. And thank you Lyn1 ive sent the link you've given too. Been searching for months for him and it was cos spoke to someone new yesterday and they told me bout all maps on here so gave it a try and so glad I have. :)

Woodriff describes Hartley Brook as "an isolated community of self employed workers" "variously called Back Lane then Beckford Lane" It survived as a community until 1967 when the cottages were demolished.

Woodriff names the Grange and Dawson families who lived there.

Guest ikkleangel1

thank you Dunsbyowl1867 for the info. have you got the book or where did you find info please. Will ask Barry if he remembers them names :)