Hillsborough Barracks

Sheffield History

HILLSBOROUGH BARRACKS

Hillsborough Barracks is a walled complex of buildings between Langsett Road and Penistone Road in the Hillsborough District of Sheffield, Sheffield S6 2GB

The complex covers an area of circa 22 acres and dates from 1848, replacing an inadequate barracks at Hillfoot at an estimated cost of £94,000.

The barracks is divided into three terraces. The first (top) terrace faces onto what is now Langsett Road. This contained the Mess establishment, quarters for around 40 officers and a similar number of servants, and a chapel. This building has a length of about 354 feet and a width and height of about 40 feet, is three stories high and has a mixture of gothic and castellated styles.

The other buildings of the barracks consisted of:

* A large five bedroomed house serving as the Garrison Commander’s Quarters outside the walls

* A 58-patient two story hospital incorporating a barracks for RAMC personnel, a Dental Clinic and a facility for treating women

* Infantry soldiers quarters

* A clock towered building, with Cavalry soldiers' quarters on the first floor and stabling for 260 horses on the ground floor (total accommodation for 918 NCO and other ranks)

* A Gymnasium

* A Riding School

* A school for 80 children and accommodation for the schoolmistress

* Married quarters flats for 50 families provided outside the walls

* A gun Shed housing six Field guns

* The Barracks Store with living quarters for the Barracks Sergeant

* A Guard Room, incorporating a Police Room, Detention Cells, and an exercise yard

* A Vehicle Shed (built in 1903) which could house 26 motor cars

* A Veterinary Infirmary, large enough to house 18 horses

* A Granary

* Four cookhouses

* And various workshops

Water supply

The barracks had its own water supply, fed from the nearby Rawson Spring on the facing hillside towards Walkley. The spring kept 21 underground tanks filled with over half a million gallons of water. The smallest tank held 12,000 gallons, the biggest 50,000 gallons. It was rumoured at the time that this water supply would be for the benefit of Sheffield’s gentry who would seek refuge in the barracks in the event of an uprising.

With entrances on both the Langsett and Penistone Roads it was considered to be amongst the finest and best arranged barracks in the kingdom, and as a military depot it ranked amongst the largest in the country.

The Great Sheffield Flood

On the northern side of the Barracks runs the River Loxley. On the night of Friday 11 March 1864 the ill-fated Dale Dyke Dam further up the Loxley Valley at Bradfield burst and the resulting flood waters breeched a stone wall that was three feet thick. The water reached a height of about 60 feet above normal river water level, and drowned two children of Sergeant Paymaster Foulds in the Married Quarters.

Trivia - If you look around the entrance to the Morrisons at Hillsborough Barracks you can see a level line of where the flood reached up to

Army Units

Army units to have been stationed include:

* 4th Royal Irish Dragoon Guards in 1856

* 98th (Prince of Wales’s) Foot in 1856

* 7th (the Princess Royal’s) Dragoon Guards in 1857

* 24th (Warwickshire) Foot in 1859

* 58th (Rutlandshire) Foot in 1861

* 16th (Bedfordshire) Foot in 1861

* 22nd (Cheshire) Foot in 1870

* E Battery Royal Horse Artillery in the 1870s

* A Squadron 2nd Dragoon Guards (Queen’s Bays) in 1897

* 6th Battalion (Louth Militia) Royal Irish Rifles in 1899

* Volunteers from the Yorkshire Dragoons and Yorkshire Hussars underwent training at the Barracks in preparation for the Boer War in 1900

* 32nd Brigade, Royal Field Artillery in 1901

* 2nd Battalion King’s Own Yorkshire Light Infantry in 1905

* 2nd Battalion The Cheshire (22nd) Regiment in 1920

The last Army unit ( 29th Field (Howitzer ) Battery left the Barracks in February 1930, leaving the Barracks unoccupied except for a resident caretaker.

Sale

On 26 July 1932 an auction was held on instruction of the War Department by Eadon & Lockwood at Sheffield. However, when bidding only reached £12,000 the auction was terminated and the Barracks was withdrawn from sale. In October of that year the complex was sold to Burdall’s Ltd, a manufacturist chemist noted for it gravy salt, and it became known as the Burdall’s Buildings.

Redevelopment

A major redevelopment of the site was embarked upon in the late 1980s. The result is the large retail and business complex seen today, in which all the surviving structures have been cleaned of the grime from the Sheffield's industrial past.

The focus of the complex is the Morrisons Supermarket covering the old Artillery Parade Ground, which has been roofed for the purpose and is fronted by the clock towered stable block. The old Infantry Parade Ground is now a a two story car park between the Stable Block and the old Officer Mess (now the headquarters for Sheffield Insulations Ltd).

The old football ground and Rifle Range are now a B&Q DIY Superstore. The Married Quarters which served as flats until the end of the 1970s were demolished and the area is now a McDonald's Drive-through Restaurant. The Garrison Commanders’s House was demolished and its site is now covered with a garage and petrol station.

The old Guard room is now the Garrison Hotel and Jailhouse Bar. The hospital building is now Skills for Business, part of Sheffield College.

Other buildings within the site serve as a Jobcentre Plus and the headquarters of the Coalfield Pensions Scheme.

The whole site is once again known as Hillsborough Barracks. As a Grade II listed building, it represents the only surviving example of a walled barracks within the UK.

PICTURES

THE GARRISON HOTEL

Having opened in 2001, The Garrison Hotel is converted from what used to be the Grade II listed jail, guardhouse and ammunition building of Hillsborough Barracks.

Conference Room - The Cell

The Cell is situated in the basement of the Jailhouse

Conference Room - The Armoury

The Armoury is a Grade II listed building where all the ammunitions for the barracks were stored.

Garrison Hotel Website - http://www.garrisonhotel.co.uk/

Opposite The Barracks

There was a cinema opposite the Barracks at one point called The Phoenix

The cinema was named after the owners of the Cinema. It showed movies such as Blackboard Jungle, and Jerry Lee Lewis movies. This cinema was just one of many in the Hillsborough/Wadsley Bridge area and believe it or not there was a policeman who (as part of his regular duties) used to visit them all looking for underage cinema goers !

On one occasion him and his sergeant visited Hillsboro' park cinema.The film that was on was "Nudes of the World " an X rated film.Inside the cinema they found a young lad who was 15 years old watching the film.

After interviewing him ,the manager and the cashier the final result was the cashier got fined in court 7/6d (371/2 p) and a warning.

The petrol station (where Maplins is now) replaced the Phoenix cinema, which must have closed in the 1960s.

Also opposite the Barracks that people will know is the Queens Ground pub

As stated in the first post, the buildings were taken on by Burdells.

Here is a picture of the 'Married Quarters', which were on Penistone Road, outside the barrack walls (this site is now where McDonalds/Garrison Motors stands) whilst in the possession of Burdells (who's sign can clearly be seen).

Another picture I took the other day and forgot to upload

Let me know what you think..

Like the dif focus effect. Brings your eyes straight to the subject.

Just a cheeky photoshop technique that I use for exactly that purpose..

That picture was shot from the hill above Wards End Cemetary - using my huge zoom monster lens..

Guest J R Wrigley

Do you remember the Colonel's House?

It stood below the Barracks where the bus station now stands.

Later it became a filling station before demolition.

This is the only picture I have been able to find of it.

I wonder when it was demolished

I can remember the garage, but not the house.

Guest mackyD

My Grandad who was orignally from London was based in Hillsborough Barracks in the early 1900's (not sure of the exact dates, will have to check on that) and he met my nan who was then a nurse at the Infirmary. He died in 1982. Whenever I go past the Barracks now, I think about him and how much he would have loved to see it as it is now.

My mother worked at Burdalls just after she left school. Apparently the office she worked in was very much like a class room with who ever was in charge at the front at a desk.

Guest tsavo

The original Barracks was at Hillfoot, on the opposite side of Infirmary Road across from the Kelvin Flats site. It was built prior to 1797 as it appears on old maps showing the Infirmary which was built in that year. Can anyone put a closer date to it being built?

The original Barracks was at Hillfoot, on the opposite side of Infirmary Road across from the Kelvin Flats site. It was built prior to 1797 as it appears on old maps showing the Infirmary which was built in that year. Can anyone put a closer date to it being built?

Hi tsavo

How about this?

Extract From Bailey to Bailey - A Short History of Military Building in Sheffield by Stephen Johnson.

Construction of the Barracks commenced 27th July 1792, opened 1794, cost over £2,000

Built of brick and stone, it housed two troops of cavalry - about 200 men. Built mainly of brick, stone was used for decoration. It was known locally as The Horse Barracks. Until a few years ago there was a pub near there called The Light Horseman

Constuction of Hillsborough Barracks started in 1848

November/December 1849 - 3rd (Prince of Wales') Dragoon Guards stationed at Hillsborough Barracks, and the Sheffield Barracks closed almost immediately

Guest tsavo

Hi tsavo

How about this?

Extract From Bailey to Bailey - A Short History of Military Building in Sheffield by Stephen Johnson.

Construction of the Barracks commenced 27th July 1792, opened 1794, cost over £2,000

Built of brick and stone, it housed two troops of cavalry - about 200 men. Built mainly of brick, stone was used for decoration. It was known locally as The Horse Barracks. Until a few years ago there was a pub near there called The Light Horseman

Constuction of Hillsborough Barracks started in 1848

November/December 1849 - 3rd (Prince of Wales') Dragoon Guards stationed at Hillsborough Barracks, and the Sheffield Barracks closed almost immediately

A perfect answer, Bayleaf, thank you. That's one less thing to rattle around this old brain!

However.....(why is there always another thing that strikes you at a time like this?)

.....what's the Barracks IP or TP area marked on the map, just the other side of Wood Lane?

I'm sure I've read, in both cases, building started, and possibly completed, before permission for the spend was granted, nothing much changes huh, except the paying bit, now they, pay, build then apply for permission he he

Any thoughts about the "TP" or "IP" area just across Wood Lane, Richard?

Temporary Parade ground ?

Just about the last bit of the old barracks has now gone, wonder if they'll put it back.

If we're talking about the Wood Land one, I didn't realise there was anything left at all!

Kelvin Metals old place, was once part of the old Barracks, according to the chap who ran it, he had to repair the wall at the side of the gateway, and as it was listed had to do a proper job, which cost him a few bob, he told me the University had done some history on the place as a project, if you look on the map and visualise the sharp bend that is there now, and where it would cut through the barracks, i dont doubt him.

Kelvin Metals old place, was once part of the old Barracks, according to the chap who ran it, he had to repair the wall at the side of the gateway, and as it was listed had to do a proper job, which cost him a few bob, he told me the University had done some history on the place as a project, if you look on the map and visualise the sharp bend that is there now, and where it would cut through the barracks, i dont doubt him.

AAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH !!!!!

I've wobbled on about this for years, finally convinced myself it wasn't part of the Barracks, but part of the Brewery that was there; final nail in the coffin for me was the wooden nature of the original barracks ..... refer to my ranting under "Building at the bottom of Whitehouse Lane" if you are interested. I've pondered Kelvin Metals place for over five years, my conclusion, I'm an idiot and I can't work it out. My Uncle (86) says its not part of the Barracks, but, search PictureSheffield for Thirza Street, you'll see a stone built infirmary - go figure, the curve of Whitehouse Lane and the old maps of Infirmary Road and Langsett convince me, and have for years that the wall with arches was not part of a brewey, but part of an older building.

Bailey to Bailey is an interesting read also, shows a map of the grounds, someone go grovel at the Sheffield Library, photocopy the second chapter, post the map on the last page .... please

I have it, but moved work premises, can't put my finger on it. Speaking of fingers (almost) this is my longest post in a long time, there's only so much "Deep Freeze" sports injury spray you can apply, many thanks for your support .... support hahahahahaha

AAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH !!!!!

I've wobbled on about this for years, finally convinced myself it wasn't part of the Barracks, but part of the Brewery that was there; final nail in the coffin for me was the wooden nature of the original barracks ..... refer to my ranting under "Building at the bottom of Whitehouse Lane" if you are interested. I've pondered Kelvin Metals place for over five years, my conclusion, I'm an idiot and I can't work it out. My Uncle (86) says its not part of the Barracks, but, search PictureSheffield for Thirza Street, you'll see a stone built infirmary - go figure, the curve of Whitehouse Lane and the old maps of Infirmary Road and Langsett convince me, and have for years that the wall with arches was not part of a brewey, but part of an older building.

Bailey to Bailey is an interesting read also, shows a map of the grounds, someone go grovel at the Sheffield Library, photocopy the second chapter, post the map on the last page .... please

I have it, but moved work premises, can't put my finger on it. Speaking of fingers (almost) this is my longest post in a long time, there's only so much "Deep Freeze" sports injury spray you can apply, many thanks for your support .... support hahahahahaha

If you overlay the map with a more recent one, there's a building at the back, nearest Whitehouse Lane, that matches up, this as i remember was always in a state of collapse, can be seen on flashearth.

If you overlay the map with a more recent one, there's a building at the back, nearest Whitehouse Lane, that matches up, this as i remember was always in a state of collapse, can be seen on flashearth.

I followed that building from about 2002 to 2005, it didn't move much, I drove 140 miles to visit my Mother and to visit THAT building; I fell apart when my sister said it was being demolished, a bit is left, think Berry's brewery was touted as the most likely, the original Horse Barracks was said to be fully demolished - think that's from Bailey to Bailey ....

my kitten is missing .....

Guest sheppydog

hello my name is paul and im trying to locate any old photographs of the burdall buildings flats that were situated where macdonalds is now,

my dadlived there as a child in the old school house and later in the late 60,s early 70.s can anyone help please shep4u2@hotmail.com

hello my name is paul and im trying to locate any old photographs of the burdall buildings flats that were situated where macdonalds is now,

my dadlived there as a child in the old school house and later in the late 60,s early 70.s can anyone help please shep4u2@hotmail.com

Is this near ? Barrack Lane Flats

Nos. 225 and 227, Penistone Road at the junction with Barrack Lane formerly the Old Barrack's Infirmary but being used as Flats (1960's)

Don't know about photo's but where McDonalds is took one heck of a beating in the Sheffield Flood (co-incedently tonight is the Anniversary of the event - March 11th 1864, events kicked off 11:35 or therabouts, but in reality the problems began late afternoon/early evening).