The Wedding Cake Registry Office In Sheffield

Sheffield History

On 16/04/2014 at 14:56, Sheffield History said:

post-1-0-46031100-1397656495_thumb.jpg

Looking for as much information as possible on the Wedding Cake Registry Office that used to be in Sheffield.

For example when it was built, when it was knocked down, and a few stories such as famous people that might have been there, got married there etc, plus a few stories from those who did get married there.

Always seemed a bit soulless to me, like a crematorium. Same kind of feel really, in one door, out the next as quickly as possible without it feeling obvious that you were on a conveyor belt system

As I recounted elsewhere on this thread, I actually worked there for several years...when it was still, quite, new..and I thought it a fabulous place....a far cry from the then common, dingy, civic offices ...often just parts of Town Halls where all that could be done, particularly at high volume times, ( ie Saturday mornings), was to  ‘tip’ parties out of the door and onto the street to make way for the next marriage  party. ‘ So really, this startlingly innovative, so-called ‘wedding cake’ building ...carved out of a relatively private part of Surrey Place was a dramatic breath of fresh air for the Registration Service and its staff who had to operate the place ...and more importantly, were some, only to realise it....for the public, who sooner or later paid   (still pay) at least one visit in connection with affairs connected with the three critical  stages of the human state, birth, marriage and death. As a one time ‘insider’ and so, for the sake  of modesty /inappropriate impartiality, exclude   myself in the comment  ....I truly believe the Staff there, generally, delivered an excellent service.....it must be said, aided by the well thought - out facility, itself.
To condemn the building and it’s grounds as merely some ‘processing plant for people’ is to unfairly, and contrarily, dismiss it ...as I’ve said previously, much more went on there than just people marrying; some business, consequent upon  the bringing of new life into the World, equally if not even more, joyful than ( arguably) the main function associated with those places, some, however,.... very grave  and often distressing  to public and staff alike...as they say, you probably ‘had to have been there’.
In my view, the ( only ) problem with civil marriage  was (still is ?) the public demand/ fashion(?) to solemnise them on Saturdays  ....almost inevitably leading to a ‘production line’ aspect ( wherever they took place) and as I’ve suggested, rather than exacerbating that, ‘ The Wedding cake’ was designed and thus, able to cope with volume without turning events into ‘a circus’. To be perfectly honest, if asked, those of us involved, strongly and enthusiastically,  advised on weekday ceremonies as things were invariably much more relaxed, ‘ both sides of the counter with well-spaced appointments, aplenty.  ( I well recall a very small but engaging  ceremony held on a weekday.. arranged between a French Diplomat and his wife - to-be from The South Seas...strikingly colourful, the parties in Hawaiian shirts and flower leis....I believe that we, those of us officiating, enjoyed the event as much as the parties!  
Celebrities? I’m sure I’ve forgotten many more ....but as a great fan of the show, one sticks in my mind particularly when several of the cast of TVs ‘Rising Damp’ sitcom turned up in the party...the late, great, Leonard Rossiter and stately, Frances de la Tour, most memorably...certainly made that working day for me!
The ROs less lighthearted work left me with some sober but sometimes absolutely  fascinating stories about peoples’ lives  but their details will just have to accompany me to the grave, in respect for the families concerned...not to say professional constraints. However, I’ll finish with one memory of parents who chose to name their child after the ENTIRE team of a well known football club! Ok, it was mum and dad’s choice at the time and  I suppose, at least relevant in the  early/ mid 70s.....but what as the years went by...the many ‘handles’ bestowed on them, surely became something of a burden to those kids? I’ve often wondered!

As contributors and readers to SH will gather , I remain an unswerving fan of the smashing, thoughtfully put together building...which many Sheffield people of all ages will have memories of. Please be kind to the ‘ young girl’ who never really ‘got to lift her skirts’ before  her own ‘disrespectful and untimely death’. Requiescat in Pace...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1