Who Remembers The Abc Cinema In Sheffield ?

Sheffield History

So who remembers the ABC Cinema when it looked like this ?

Luxurious, huge and impressive there was always a real sense of occasion going to this cinema !

What's your main memories ?

A great Cinema and one where, for the first and only time in my life, I fainted. I had eaten very little during the day and rushed from work to meet my girl friend to watch Ben Hur...the sight of the galley sinking with men pulling their hands off to escape drowning....was ! I always blamed the lack of food!

ABC Minors Club every Saturday morning! Late 60's and early 70's. They used to start with someone playing that wonderful organ and singing the ABC Minor's song. Then followed assorted films by the BCFF.

The ABC, what a brilliant Cinema. When you walked through the doors into the auditorium, it was a real treat, you knew it was going to be good. The most memorable films for me there were:- 1976 The Slipper and the Rose, ( it's basically a beautiful film of the Cinderella story ) starring Gemma Craven and Richard Chamberlain, with a host of other stars including, Annette Crosbie, Michael Hordern, Margaret Lockwood and Kenneth More. Then, we took our daughter to see E.T in 1982 I don't know who cried the most between us. As we walked down the stairs on the way out, with red eyes and tissues, people we passed on their way in, were saying "it must be a good film, look at 'em all". We bought a beautiful 12" Soft Toy E.T as a keepsake, which we still have.

6 hours ago, Sheffield History said:

EArR0yBU0AAZH_W.jpg

These two pictures were taken at the last Saturday morning ABC Minors show, though I don't recall the year, possibly 1982 or 83. Many will recall Uncle Les Allen who was the manager here for many years.