Redgates Toy Shop In Sheffield

Sheffield History

Redgates toy shop in Sheffield was a Sheffield institution but can you remember this wrapping paper adorning your toys when you bought them ?

I seem to remember paper bags with the Redgates logo all over them but not 100% if that's correct so would be great to hear from someone who can validate this ?

Yes, you're absolutely right. Until recently all our Christmas tree decorations were packed in little brown Redgates bags.

I remember redgates when it was at the bottom of eccleshall rd near the junction of Clarence st in the early 40's,in fact my parents bought me my first 3 wheeler bike from there it was a redgate's own make it had a red 5 barred gate on the front fork.

For your interest Redgates toyshop was founded by Councillor Nunn. He named his shop after his wife's maiden name, Miss Redgate. My father was a friend of one of his sons. In later years it seemed as if all the Nunn children were in the business in one way or another. My father's friend ran the Chesterfield shop until it closed then the one on Fitzalan Square, then moved into the new shop round the corner from the old shop on The Moor when it was built.

11 minutes ago, Old rider said:

For your interest Redgates toyshop was founded by Councillor Nunn. He named his shop after his wife's maiden name, Miss Redgate. My father was a friend of one of his sons. In later years it seemed as if all the Nunn children were in the business in one way or another. My father's friend ran the Chesterfield shop until it closed then the one on Fitzalan Square, then moved into the new shop round the corner from the old shop on The Moor when it was built.

Redgates had a small business making prams in Fitzallen Square ( Bakers Hill ) in the late 1800s.

I was a friend of the Nunn who ran the business before it closed. When I asked him why it closed, he explained that his staff was knowledgeable, they would explain and demonstrate the finer points of the "new" technological toys being introduced, The potential customer would smile, thank them and then walk out and buy it from one of the emerging new style stores who had toys in stock for Christmas only, stacked them up high and sold them at a lower price than Redgates,