The CINEMA HOUSE in Barkers Pool, Sheffield City Centre

Guest tsavo

Guest tsavo

Screenshot 2020-06-07 at 11.45.52.jpg

The CINEMA HOUSE in Barkers Pool, Sheffield City Centre

Opened in 1913, the Cinema House seated 800 and was one of the smaller city centre cinemas. Boasting a tea room, it had a narrow auditorium and patrons entered from the screen end of the hall. Being narrow, it's Cinemascope image size was severely restricted.

It's projection equipment was upgraded around 1961 and the Gaumont projectionist's were invited for a 'look see´. If I remember correctly they were BTH chain driven projectors and compared to our Kaylee's, rather noisy. John Hyde, the Gaumont's Chief Projectionist listened to the advantages of chains over gears and belts and said,"Chains can't be all that bad, after all, no Sh*thouse is complete without one!" Crude but effective.

The evening of the Cinema House's last performance, in August 1961, all the Gaumont's front of house lights went off. It was just a blown fuse, but manager Harry Murray saw an opportunity for some free publicity. The following day's Star noted the event stating that "engineers were baffled by the failure of the lights, but maybe it was just one old cinema's way of saying goodbye to another!"

What a showman.

More information on The Cinema House from "the ABC of Sheffield Cinema's"

"CINEMA HOUSE, Barker's Pool Opened: 6-5-13

Architects: J A Hickton and H E Farmer Capacity: 800 (1913); 763 (1935)

Proprietors: Sheffield and District Cinematograph Theatres Ltd Closed: 12-8-61

Subsequent use: Demolished, the site being redeveloped for shops and offices. (they were at it even in the 60's)

NOTES

The hall had always provided a good orchestra and by 1923 orchestral interludes were played from a raised dais and colourfully lit. For a time hat racks were fixed on the back of the cinema's seats and a short film was screened showing how they should be used; it was not an idea with a future. The Cinema House escaped lightly on the first night of the Sheffield 'blitz', but the city centre had been badly hit; the basement billiard hall was closed and occuppied by Cockayne's and later Proctor's as a store. It was the last of the city-centre cinemas to bring in Cinemascope and the hall was not really suited to the new format. Projection facilities had always been on the ground floor and the balcony was a limiting factor in determining the height of the picture that could be screened."

The cinema house showed its first talking picture - 'Climbing the Golden Stair'. Not a film I've ever heard of - anyone else.

Didn't this cinema have a high screen, so that if you were unfortunate enough to have to sit at the front you got a crick in your neck looking up <_< or am I thinking about somewhere else?

Guest tsavo

No, Ellesse, your memory is correct. The screen at the Cinema House was very high above the stalls, and pretty small to boot.

Guest tsavo

The Cinema House, Barkers Pool. -
http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s13271&pos=1&action=zoom&id=16151

http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s08042&pos=1&action=zoom&id=11187

Opened in 1913, the Cinema House seated 800 and was one of the smaller city centre cinemas. Boasting a tea room, it had a narrow auditorium and patrons entered from the screen end of the hall. Being narrow, it's Cinemascope image size was severely restricted.

I's projection equipment was upgraded around 1961 and the Gaumont projectionist's were invited for a 'look see´. If I remember correctly they were BTH chain driven projectors and compared to our Kaylee's, rather noisy. John Hyde, the Gaumont's Chief Projectionist listened to the advantages of chains over gears and belts and said,

"Chains can't be all that bad, after all, no sh*thouse is complete without one!"

Crude but effective.

The evening of the Cinema House's last performance, in August 1961, all the Gaumont's front of house lights went off. It was just a blown fuse, but manager Harry Murray saw an opportunity for some free publicity. The following day's Star noted the event stating that

"engineers were baffled by the failure of the lights, but maybe it was just one old cinema's way of saying goodbye to another!"

What a showman.
Info: Sheffield Cinemas / Tsavo

The Cinema House, Barkers Pool. -

www.picturesheffield.com,

www.picturesheffield.com,

I's projection equipment was upgraded around 1961 and the Gaumont projectionist's were invited for a 'look see´. If I remember correctly they were BTH chain driven projectors and compared to our Kaylee's, rather noisy. John Hyde, the Gaumont's Chief Projectionist listened to the advantages of chains over gears and belts and said,

"Chains can't be all that bad, after all, no sh*thouse is complete without one!"

Crude but effective.

The evening of the Cinema House's last performance, in August 1961, all the Gaumont's front of house lights went off. It was just a blown fuse, but manager Harry Murray saw an opportunity for some free publicity. The following day's Star noted the event stating that

"engineers were baffled by the failure of the lights, but maybe it was just one old cinema's way of saying goodbye to another!"

What a showman.

Info: Sheffield Cinemas / Tsavo

Fine photo of the Sheffield Cinema House.Barkers Pool lost most of its character with the demolition of this & the Gaumont Cinema.

Back in the late 1940's/ early 50's my uncle, occasionally, took me to the Cinema House ( my locals were the Paragon and the Capitol) The two films I saw that stick in my mind were Treasure Island and a film, whose name eludes me about Bonnie Prince Charlie.

Back in the late 1940's/ early 50's my uncle, occasionally, took me to the Cinema House ( my locals were the Paragon and the Capitol) The two films I saw that stick in my mind were Treasure Island and a film, whose name eludes me about Bonnie Prince Charlie.

Walt Disney’s “Treasure Island” - his first, live action film, first played at the Cinema House from Dec 24th 1950 to Jan 13th 1951. It played there again (in a re-issue double bill with “Cinderella".} from 4th - 10th Jan 1959.

“Bonnie Prince Charlie” never played at the Cinema House. That was first shown in Sheffield at The Hippodrome from the 22nd - 28th May 1949, and reached the locals in September of that year.

The Scottish film that you saw at the Cinema House was probably .... Walt Disney’s “Rob Roy”. That film had it’s first Sheffield run there from 18th April to 1st May, 1954.

That's interesting. I remember the film which starred David Niven ( on checking I see it came out in 1948...which would tie in with my time spent with my Uncle...by 1954 I was too "grown up" to be taken to a cinema) and I remember the "Skye Boat Song" which it included. Sadly, I don't ever recall, as a small boy,being taken to any other cinemas in town other than the Cinema House, the News Theatre and the Gaumont. I don't ever recall going in the Hippodrome until I was a teenager"

Strange! :)

That's interesting. I remember the film which starred David Niven ( on checking I see it came out in 1948...which would tie in with my time spent with my Uncle...by 1954 I was too "grown up" to be taken to a cinema) and I remember the "Skye Boat Song" which it included. Sadly, I don't ever recall, as a small boy,being taken to any other cinemas in town other than the Cinema House, the News Theatre and the Gaumont. I don't ever recall going in the Hippodrome until I was a teenager"

Strange! :)

Well!...the mind can play strange tricks ! For years, I was convinced that my Dad took me to see “Prince Valiant” at the Cinema House. It wasn’t until I did my research on play dates (when I retired) that I discovered that that movie had never played the Cinema House either. It had been at the Palace, Union Street !

After spending every Wednesday afternoon for 6 months in the Local History library, and going through the Entertainments pages of The Star, I now have a complete record of play-dates for all the films that ran at the main, Downtown Sheffield cinemas (except the Wicker) between 1948 and 1972.

There is no record for “Bonnie Prince Charlie” at the Cinema House ! If you saw it in town, in 1949, it was The Hippodrome ! :)

As you say, age plays tricks with the mind..."Senior Moments" do become more frequent. I shall now have to revise my childhood memories...which are certainly more secure than what happened the other day! :)

As you say, age plays tricks with the mind..."Senior Moments" do become more frequent. I shall now have to revise my childhood memories...which are certainly more secure than what happened the other day! :)

Same here !

1956 is much clearer than yesterday ! :)

Surely, someone bonkers enough to compile such a list would be willing to share the information ... pretty please ...

After spending every Wednesday afternoon for 6 months in the Local History library, and going through the Entertainments pages of The Star, I now have a complete record of play-dates for all the films that ran at the main, Downtown Sheffield cinemas (except the Wicker) between 1948 and 1972.

Surely, someone bonkers enough to compile such a list would be willing to share the information ... pretty please ...

Bonkers, yes! ....Share ? ...... I wouldn’t know where to start !

The information is on Excel, not on a website.

Maybe producing such a site is another project for me, one day ???

In the meantime, if you want any dates, or info ....just ask, and i’d be happy to post them on here. :)

Does anyone know where I might find interior photos of this building?

In a May 1913 newspaper announcing it's opening they mention some interesting 'luxury' and 'modern' design features.