Brightside & Carbrook Co-operative Society

dunsbyowl1867

There can't be many people of a certain age who lives weren't touched by the Co-operative movement. I remember having a Christmas job at the B&C on Nethershire Lane, Shiregreen when I was at school. Here's a portrait of the B&C from 1905.

• Like 1

Guest tsavo

Not just the B & C but all the co-op's had a 'divi' scheme. I can still remember our number for the Sheffield & Ecclesall, 67079!

Not just the B & C but all the co-op's had a 'divi' scheme. I can still remember our number for the Sheffield & Ecclesall, 67079!

Hi Tsavo

My Dad like quoting his 'divi' number when he's in his "all we got was a penny and satsuma in an old sock for Christmas" mood. lol

Guest tsavo

Sure do, small plastic coins that blew off the windowsill in anything stronger than a breeze. Different colours for different milks. Can't remember what the different milks were though.

Sure do, small plastic coins that blew off the windowsill in anything stronger than a breeze. Different colours for different milks. Can't remember what the different milks were though.

I'm sure I remember that they changed the colour of the milk checks when the price of milk increased. I'm sure I remember people having to put coppers with the checks if they were for the old value.

From what I remember there were only about two choices in the fifties, full milk or that horrible sterilised stuff in the tall bottles.

HD

• Like 1

I remember going to the B&C co-op in Sheffield near the old court house, one Friday night after school, in 1965

I had gone to buy 10 football shirts for a team that I ran, Hackenthorpe Boys, as we were due to play our first game of the season the next day. Our goalkeeper had his own shirt, thats why we picked him.

I had tried Suggs Sports to buy the shirts, but they were more than the money I had. Next I went into the B&C and again I was a little short of the cost price. The kind lady behind the counter on hearing that I needed the shirts for the next day, said that if I did not ask for the divi, then I could have them for the money I had. What a nice lady she was.

We turned out the next day in our new white shirts and beat Catcliffe FC 6-2.

I'm sure I remember that they changed the colour of the milk checks when the price of milk increased. I'm sure I remember people having to put coppers with the checks if they were for the old value.

From what I remember there were only about two choices in the fifties, full milk or that horrible sterilised stuff in the tall bottles.

HD

I worked as a rounds man for B&C Woodhouse in the 1960's, I think we referred to the things as milk tokens but I could be wrong, it was a long time back.

By the 60's we sold pasteurized, sterilized, channel island, homogenized, I think UHT, various creams and probably more that I have forgotten.

I think milk tokens were withdrawn when stealing them from the empty milk bottles, outside your front door, became a problem.

Our divi no....again used mainly at Nether Shire, was 854018 and betide you if you came home without the little slip!

I think milk tokens were withdrawn when stealing them from the empty milk bottles, outside your front door, became a problem.

Our divi no....again used mainly at Nether Shire, was 854018 and betide you if you came home without the little slip!

We did not have much of a problem in the 60's with theft of tokens but I remember a policeman being caught taking bottles of milk.

My daughter was rummaging through a tin of my late father and came across this. The B&C are obviously Brightside and Carbrook, maybe the BC is bowling club? Anyone? Thanks. 

BA8FF23F-312F-4D53-BC57-D2743AB03F88.jpeg

• Like 1