Streets Formerly Known As...

Calvin72

Maxwell Way off Sutherland Road used to be called Writtle Street . My mum was born at 43 Writtle Street 2 oct 1915. Gt Grandma Elizabeth Bellamy (nee Pigott) was killed in the same house on 26 Sep 1916 by a Zeppelin bomb bursting outside.

I have a 1950's map which still shows it as Writtle St so name must have changed in 2nd half of 20th century.

Peter Harvey couldn't find a date for the change either, but he does say that the name was changed at the request of residents. (Both Maxwell and Writtle were names connected with the family of the Duke of Norfolk, who owned the land.)

Peter Harvey couldn't find a date for the change either, but he does say that the name was changed at the request of residents. (Both Maxwell and Writtle were names connected with the family of the Duke of Norfolk, who owned the land.)

At the request of the residents...why? - I wonder how many other of the street name changes were made in the same way?

At the request of the residents...why? - I wonder how many other of the street name changes were made in the same way?

A good question. I know from experience that trying to get a name changed by the Council is extremely difficult. In his lifetime the local historian T.Walter Hall tried to to persuade the Council, who decided to change the name of Carr Lane in the Porter valley to Quiet Lane, that it be changed back to its original name of Jewitt Hill, which dated back to the 14th/15th century, but without success. He was a local man to whom generations of Sheffield local historians owe an immense debt. 2013 was his centenary, and to mark it I suggested they do as he asked and change the name as he suggested. There are only four houses on the Lane, so there would have been little disruption or inconvenience, but the Council turned it down flat, on the grounds that names could be changed only under very exceptional circumstances. So well done the residents of Writtle Street. I wonder what their argument was?

One I recall reading about and timely in this centenary year is the change from Blucher Street to Mons Street in Attercliffe - a hero at Waterloo in 1815 but a little too German following WW1 !

Guest plain talker

Sturge Street, in Heeley was renamed "Sturge Croft"

On old maps of Sharrow, Croydon Street (between Fentonville St and Langdon St) is called "Beverley St.

The street my grandpa was born onto, in Netherthorpe, the "Canada" was renamed Blythe Street. (no longer there, it ran parallel with the Winter Street Hospital end of Mushroom lane) however, on the 1922 map of central (linked to on here) it's not shown, (neither is Martin Street)

Terry Street at attercliffe used to be less than a hundred yards long, only running the length of Carbrook School, it now runs right round where the Recreation ground used to be.

The "notorious" Havelock Square is now Holberry Gardens....

Formerly or still ?

London Road South. Not shown as such on modern maps, but clearly named on the 50's OS set.

However, the numbering from London Road doesn't stop and re-start anywhere that I can find, it just carries on up to number 661 before becoming Chesterfield Rd (bottom of Albert Rd.)

So it seems that sometime up to and including 1950's, that section was called London Rd South, but carried on the same numbering as if it was still London Road.

Oddly also, The sign at Ponsfords says London Rd South. But further UP the road, on the corner of Albert Rd, it is signed just as London Rd.

Corner of Well Road

Corner of Albert Rd

Google images

Thanks for that PMG50.

Welcome to the site, we hope you can carry on with the odd contribution here and there.