Pits In Sheffield

Guest Emma Carter

Guest Emma Carter

Iam trying to find out what pit my gt uncle would have worked in during the Edwardian era he lived in Carlisle Street and was a coal miner is there any info on pits in Sheffield

There is a list of collieries here.

You can also search for "Coal mines" "Collieries" "Mining" etc in other posts by using the search box (top right)

Hope you find something.

Could also have been the Tinsley Colliery, some historical [1870] background information about which, is given below.

Tinsley Colliery.

This Colliery is situated about 3 miles to the East of Sheffield, on Lord Fitzwilliam’s Estate.

The extent of the Royalty is 1,000 Acres.

The demise includes the following Seams.

Top Bed,

Furnace Bed,

High Hazles,

Barnsley Bed,

and the heads of the Lease are,

Term 21 years from 25th March 1866.

Certain Rent £1,000 per annum,

Royalty Rents: -

Top Bed, £80 per acre,

Furnace do., 67.10.0 – do.

High Hazles, 107.10.0 – do.

Barnsley Bed, 165.0.0 – do.

Rent for surface £4.10.0 per acre.

Several pits have been sunk on this Royalty and the following are now in operation. –

No. 6 pit to the thick Coal.

This Seam contains 4ft 6ins of Coal and is wet at 60 yards from the surface.

No. 2 pit to the High Hazles Seam (120 Yards) which is 3ft 6ins in thickness.

No. 3 pit to the High Hazles and drifted out to the Thin Coal 25 Yards above the former Seam.

West Retford Pit: is sunk to the Barnsley Bed which is here met with at 217 Yards from the surface and 4’.6” thick. Owing to a fire which occurred in this pit, it has been closed for about 6 months, but operations are now going on with a view to re-opening it, and I expect it will be at full work before the Summer.

The actual working powers of these pits are,

No. 6 pit – 100 tons a day.

No. 2 pit – 200 tons a day.

No. 3 pit – 100 tons a day.

West Retford pit – 400 tons a day.

Total 800 tons a day.

This is equal to an annual produce of above 200,000 tons, but to allow for contingencies I have taken the annual vend at 160,000 tons.

From a careful measurement of the Working plans, it appears that the quantity of coal remaining would supply the above vend for a period greatly exceeding the unexpired term of the Lease.

I am of opinion that no further sinking or increase of plant will be required during this time, with the exception of a new pit to win the dip coal in the High Hazles and Upper Seams. This should be completed within 6 years, and I estimate that the cost of it will not exceed £20,000.

The produce of this Colliery finds a ready market in Sheffield, and the neighbourhood to which access is obtained by means of the Sheffield Canal. There are two Wharves in Sheffield, to which the Coals are sent, these Wharves are held on advantageous Leases.

Arrangements are in progress for connecting the Colliery Railways with the New Branch of the Manchester, Sheffield, Lincolnshire Railway, which will have the effect of introducing the Coals to a variety of New Markets.

Attached to this Colliery, are 60 Coke Ovens from which sells at very remunerative prices, and I have no doubt that if this branch of trade was extended the result would be highly favorable to the profitable working of the concern.

Cost of Working and Selling Price.

It appears from the Colliery books that the cost of Working, including all labour, materials, Royalty and other rents is. - 5s.9d. per ton.
And the price realized for the Coals after deducting the Expenses of transit to Sheffield is. - 6s.10d. per ton.
Leaving a net profit of. - 1s.1d. per ton.

Valuation.

During the present year I estimate that owing to the temporary suspension of the West Retford pit the quantity raised and sold will only be 130,000 tons.

130,000 tons at 1s.1d. gives a Revenue of. - £7,041.13s.4d.
From which must be deducted the cost of opening out & repairing the West Retford pit – say. - £2,000.0s.0d.
The present value of this allowing a purchaser 14 per cent for risk and redemption of Capital is. - £4,422.10s.0d.
For the remainder of the term of the Lease, viz. 16 Years the profit will be 160,000 tons @ 1s.1d. = £8,666.13s.4d.
Taking this as an annuity for 16 years commencing 1 year hence, and allowing 14 per cent as before, the value in present money is. - £47,629.18s.5d.
The Stock of this Colliery is entirely the property of the Lessee, and is estimated to be worth £18,000. At the end of the Lease the Lessor has the option of taking it as a whole.
As there will still be a large area of the Coalfield untouched, it is evident that the Stock will then be disposed of at its full value.
Deducting 1/3rd for deterioration we have remaining a sum of £12,000 to be received 17 Years hence. The present value of this is. - £5,235.12s.0d.
From this must be deducted the Capital required for sinking the proposed pit to the High Hazles Seam say £20,000. This must be expended within 6 years, say on average 4 Years hence: -
Reducing this sum to present money we have a deduction of. - £16,454.0s.0d.
Value of Tinsley Colliery Exclusive of the reversion of the Wharf Leases. - £40,834.0s.5d.

I am trying to find any information about the "Broughton Colliery" that was somewhere near Broughton Lane.

I believe that one of my relations was involved in a strike there around 1870,however I have not been able to

find any details about the colliery.

I have part of a map from that era that show coal pits around Broughton Lane and wondered if these were what

constituted Broughton Colliery.