Tennant Bros. Exchange Brewery

LW SWFC

Hi all, I'm currently researching the Exchange Brewery as part of a local history project for uni and was just wondering if anyone had any memories/photos/stories about the company and their products.

I have researched the company at both the Sheffield archives and central library, but any information would be massively appreciated.

I'm focusing the project on the early years of the company, concentrating on the three key figures in the early 1850s, Robert and Edward Tennant (both of whom seem to be rather elusive, with no surviving photographs featuring them) and Thomas Moore, the development of the Bridge Street site and the change of ownership following R. Tennant's death in 1866.

Thanks in advance!

Lewis

Thanks for the pointers mate, I'll add anything I come across to the relevant threads. There's plenty out there relating to the company from 1882 onwards, but very little from the period before.

Those are phenomenal! Thanks very much Edmund, they're exactly what I've been looking for!

I've given up looking for images of the brothers however, nothing in the archives, online or at the local studies library.

Also concluded that Edward Tennant died c.1846 in Tadcaster..

A friend who as a young school leaver worked in their laboratory. She always maintained that Roddy Llewelyn worked there as well…before his friendship with Princess Margaret!