Gatty's Hunters Hallamshire (1869)

RichardB

I see that there is a hidden reserve price on this item, which I think means that the real starting price is higher than the stated opening bid price. I truly wonder as to where some of these people are coming from.

I see that there is a hidden reserve price on this item, which I think means that the real starting price is higher than the stated opening bid price. I truly wonder as to where some of these people are coming from.

Thanks for that. I'm still a bit of a novice at eBay and I wondered what that meant! (Of course, having said that I found that clicking on it brings up an explanation! :rolleyes: )

Hmm, I'm not quite sure that they did!

Item number:s.gif121287695375

The History and Topography of Sheffield Current bid: £50.00
Reserve not met

It's a bit like the old game, "I'm thinking of a number and you've got to guess what it is"! What possible reason or advantage to the seller can there be in not disclosing the reserve, unless it in the hope someone will start the bidding at way over it?

A lot of "real" live auctions do start off the bidding at a lower than reserve price. I think that it works on the basis that if you are happy to pay £50.00, then you will probably be happy to pay £60.00, or £70.00. The low asking price is designed to entice and engage a number of people into the competitive bidding process. As the seller, you protect yourself by building in a reserve price.

Having said that though, I do not think that I have ever come across this before on e-bay, which is possibly why it did not produce the required result.

Having also said that, and despite its' battered covers, broken spine, and extensive foxing on some pages, £50.00 would have been a reasonable price for a 1869 Gatty's.

My first edition copy (1819) was £120, my battered 1869 copy was £155 - more money than sense, eh ?

I'm not saying anything Richard, as I have rather similar, rather expensive tastes and so, I would not wish to be called hypocritical. ;-)

Having said that, £120.00 for the 1819 edition sounds a good price also, but again, it all depends on condition and of course, as to whether it is the small, or large edition.

Anyhow, its' all about the enjoyment of owning such items and I could never be critical of anyone who is prepared to pay for such enjoyment, and with the likes of the 1819 edition, I find that actually touching something that was printed just four years' after the Battle of Waterloo somewhat surreal. :rolleyes:

Richard,

If you have got copies of the 1819 and the 1869 editions, then why not go for the 1875 enlarged edition also?

http://ukbookworld.com/book-for-sale/jlcapes/4937/hunter-joseph-gatty-alfred-hallamshire-the-history-and-topography-the-parish-sheffield

Too late! The link says the item has been sold. Someone obviously thought it was a reasonable price!