The Park Cinema

Guest tsavo

Guest tsavo

I only knew the Park after it was closed in 1960 and reopened in 1963 by film enthusiast, Dennis O'Grady. Dennis was, for a time, head doorman at the Gaumont. After he had managed to get a short term lease he asked me as a favour to run the show for a couple of nights. Dennis took me around the place which had seen better days and warned me that number two rectifier was "a bit temperamental" but could be coaxed into working with a kick or two. This unit, (which provided power to the arc lamps) had a great dent in one side of it's case due to this constant 'adjustment'. It was only a matter of tightening one connection and problem solved. It, of course, made my day and reminded me that the small victories are the best. Sadly, the park finally closed on New Years Eve, 1966.

Where was The Park Cinema? Was it just off South Street below Park Hill flats?

If so I remember it briefly being a bingo hall :(

Guest tsavo

Well spotted, I just didn't make the connection between the Park Cinems and Violet Mays Brilliant!

I only knew the Park after it was closed in 1960 and reopened in 1963 by film enthusiast, Dennis O'Grady. Dennis was, for a time, head doorman at the Gaumont. After he had managed to get a short term lease he asked me as a favour to run the show for a couple of nights. Dennis took me around the place which had seen better days and warned me that number two rectifier was "a bit temperamental" but could be coaxed into working with a kick or two. This unit, (which provided power to the arc lamps) had a great dent in one side of it's case due to this constant 'adjustment'. It was only a matter of tightening one connection and problem solved. It, of course, made my day and reminded me that the small victories are the best. Sadly, the park finally closed on New Years Eve, 1966.

I know Dennis very well. I worked for him at Elsecar. I still have regular contact with him.

Guest tsavo

The Park Picture Palace, South St. -

The Park Palace opened on the 1st of August, 1913. It had seating for around 800, including the balcony. Like many Sheffield cinemas of the time, it was covered externally in white faience with an ornamental parapet linking twin towers. These were later remooved but continuing to be visible were the letters SPP, signifying Sheffield Park Pictures. The Park was one of the few cinemas which relied on a solo pianist to provide an accompaniment to their silent films.

The Park closed as a cinema in June of 1960 but a short term lease was granted to Ken Kerner Entertainments who re-opened the Park for the first time for Sunday performances. It would close again in June, two years later but was then reopened by film enthusiast Dennis O'Grady, previously head doorman at the Gaumont Cinema. From November of 1963 the Park offered three changes of programme weekly. It finally closed on New Year's Eve in 1966 with a showing of Peter Pan and Emil and the Detectives.

Info: Sheffield Cinemas / Tsavo