Uniform Identification

sando

Hi

I wonder if anyone can help identify either of the uniforms below, I know there is little to go on, they are from around the time of WW1, the 1st pictures appear quite decorative, whereas the second set of pictures look very plain

Unfortunately there are no badges/insignia visible. Any more info sando, are they local for instance?

I've picked the brains of an expert and he is of the opinion that in the first photos the uniform is the post 1902 Yorks and Lancs tunic. This would fit with Thomas's age. However the WWI uniform looks to have no identifying features but it is of course highly possible that it too is Yorks and Lancs. if I were you I'd be searching for your man amongst the Y and L.

There is a Thomas Rycroft n. 20382 Private in the Lincolnshire Regiment who is recorded on the Sheffield Council Official Roll Of Honour. This is no guarantee that this is your man but an avenue that is worth pursuing.

http://sheffieldsoldierww1.co.uk/search4.php?id=493063

Also, just had a quick check and although I don't actually have access to ancestry there is a pension record for a Thomas Rycroft from Yorkshire. Given that your Thomas was injured it is likely he qualified for a pension.

Thanks Saw119, the only query is that our understanding is that Thomas died in a Sheffield hospital in 1919, whereas this record shows that he died, rather than served, we have a burial record for Burngreave cemetery. the search goes on.

thanks for your help.

It's probably worth bearing in mind that often 'Died' means died of wounds/disease rather than 'KIA' which means killed in action (obviously). So a report of 'died' may not be something to discount straight away. I can eliminate the Thomas Rycroft who served with the Sherwood Foresters though as he was killed in 1915.