Silver Grid Cafe

elene

Hello all

Does anyone know where the Silver Grid Cafe used to be? My great grandfather, John Cousins, used to attend meetings of a temperance society there. He lived in and around the centre of town and also had links to Burngreave and Attercliffe so I think the cafe would be relatively close to the town centre.

Thank you in anticipation

Elene

:)

Silver Grid Restaurant, 3 & 5 Bank Street, (Sheffield Cafe Co. Limited).

1901 & 1905 directories

-----------------------------------

Sheffield Cafe Co. Ltd. cocoa & coffee house proprietors, Johnson Lane; C. J. Whitehead, general
manager.

Hello all

Does anyone know where the Silver Grid Cafe used to be? My great grandfather, John Cousins, used to attend meetings of a temperance society there. He lived in and around the centre of town and also had links to Burngreave and Attercliffe so I think the cafe would be relatively close to the town centre.

Thank you in anticipation

Elene

:)

J A Cousins?

S&R Ind: Friday, January 10, 1890

Thank you so much SteveHB. I have trawled through the British Newspaper Archive many a time since I found mention of the Silver Grid in relation to my G Grandfather and found nothing to tell me where it was so this is wonderful! He was indeed J A Cousins, 'phrenologist' who used to give talks and exhibitions about the subject all round Sheffield and even called himself 'Professor' Cousins. In real life he was a sewing machine maker/repairer with a stall in the Norfolk Market Hall behind which he gave personal phrenological readings to people. I have found him quite a character since starting to research the family - he seems to have mixed with a wide variety of people particularly via chapel, the Liberal party, Temperance Society, other phrenologists etc. I wish I could have met him.

Thanks once again.

Elene :)